1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Outlook Express question

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Misu, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

How do I backup my emails?? I would like to save all my sent and received emails that I currently have, including the folders that I have set up and everything. I'm going to completely reformat and reinstall XP and haven't been able to because I cannot figure out for the life of me how to save my emails, and it's very important that I do so because I have lots of stuff I NEED for school.

Thanks.

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Copy all *.PST files to external media and restore to the same path after re-install.

That should do it :)

3. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Outlook Express files are .dbx Outlook are .pst. You can find them in XP somewhere like this with a normal install:

C:\Documents and Settings\WAPU\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{9C827CDD-8EA3-4C75-86FB-F456A9823043}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

wapu

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am pretty sure that OE does not use *.pst as outlook does. I have switched at home to Outlook so I cannot look it up at the moment. Not positive but I remember something like *.mbx for the folders in your mail.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I was not aware the OE used different formats. I use Outlook here and it does use .PST files.

Thanks Wapu and Shiny for pointing out my oversight.

Good thing to know going forward.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I did not even see Wapu's post. Now I don't have to kick my wife off her 98 computer to see the names :)

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ok so then copy all .dbx files, correct?

A friend of mine told me it was .pst too, but now I'm confused. I will look for both and just back them both up :p

thanks all

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Misu:

What I would do is just copy all of those files into a folder in your My Documents directory. That way, anytimes you backup your My Documents folder, your mail will be backed up as well.

I have been keeping my mail files in my My Documents folder for quite a while now. Anytime I format and reinstall everything, I restore my My Documents, and I'm set! Of course, you'll have to go into Outlook Express Options, Maintenance, Store Folder... and specify where your mail files are located.

RRed

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

No, don't worry about any .pst files. If you don't use Outlook, you don't need it. ;)

10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Hey Rred, that's a really good idea! How do I tell outlook express to do that in my future install? I didn't think there was anyway to change the default settings ?

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Hehe...I gave you the menu sequence!

Anytime you format and reinstall, after restoring your My Documents directory, all you have to do is open Outlook Express, and change this setting:

Outlook Express -> Options -> Maintenance -> Store Folder...

I am using version 6, and I assume you are using the same? I can't remember at which version Microsoft added this feature. It certainly is a good one, though. You can do the same thing with Outlook's .pst files, but it can get ugly. Outlook Express is a surprisingly great Microsoft program. I don't really have anything bad to say about it.

12. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

File -> Export -> Messages

then

File -> Export -> Address Book

And lastly,

Tools -> Accounts -> Mail tab -> highlight email account -> Export (Do this for each email account)

Create a folder on the desktop to be the location you export to. Back that up before formatting. Then when you are set up with your new Windows install, repeat the procedure, but instead choose Import and point the wizard to the back up folder you have copied from the CD (or what-have-you) back to the desktop. Take it from my trials and especially errors, this works MUCH better than copying the data files directly. Outlook Express tends to get very confused unless the Export/Import Wizard is used.