1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Is as Stupid Does: Obama Chimes in on Gates Arrest

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

To me it is mere common sense. The man stopping you for a traffic ticket is aware people doing his job die stopping speeeders. Why in the name of all that is holy would you want that man pissed or even unsure about his safety? If a man wearing a gun wants to ask me why I am breaking into anything I am going to be real careful to put him at his ease. This is not rocket science.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bonk::bonk::bonk:

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Read it again thong boy. I asked you why YOU thought he should be upset. Jesus, the reading comprehension around here is going into the shitter but quick!

4. ethics

I've said it in 5 posts already.

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

He didn't get strung up by the balls, he had a beer with Barry and the arresting cop. He didn't get treated any different than some wise ass who hands a cop his library card as an ID.

Lowest common denominator means at some point we ARE all equal in this country. Equality doesn't just mean privilege, but also an obligation to comply with law enforcement when their demands are lawful and Constitutional. Exemptions, compassion and tolerance for the mentally impaired should not be imparted to academia; no matter how much we may see them as the former.

6. ethics

He got arrested. He got (IMHO) humiliated not just for the arrest but for false accusations. That's enough for me. The beer summit was more for Obama than for anyone else.

7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Leon, anyone, ANYONE who would have pulled the same shit would have been arrested. What makes him so different? His connections? His status? When someone gets arrested who is unruly, every charge that may apply gets charged. It then becomes the responsibility of the judiciary to sort it out. Keep yer shit together when dealing with law enforcement and it's a non sequitar.

8. ethics

I've seen it here in NY, growing up in the projects.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Harvard is as racist as Professor Gates.

On race, Harvard still must learn - Los Angeles Times

10. ethics

11. mikeky

mikeky Member

If for 50-something years I had been treated differently, sometimes subtly, sometimes directly, I might react differently too. My first thought might not be that the cop was there just to keep my house safe, but that he was there because he didn't think a black man could have a reason to be there.

That thinking was wrong, but why do you think Gates could automatically suppress 50 years of life memories, anymore than you can suppress your history that says always comply with the cops, they generally do the right thing?

12. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

Dunno if any of you-all have considered this, but sometimes obedience and compliance with an authority figure can lead to false self-incrimination and then over-reaction to compensate for the error.
    I once found an expensive antique-ish boat part at the dumps and threw it into my pick-up (with permission from the fellow on duty there). After getting it home I wondered if it hadn't been stolen but it didn't have a serial number in the location I knew it to be in a newer model. I went to the nearest police building which at the time was police headquarters. When I told the officer at the front desk I had this boat part with no serial number and asked if any had been reported stolen, he said in a commanding tone of voice "Bring it right here!". I'm not black and I didn't accuse anybody of being racists but I did not jump in my truck and drive several miles to throw a hundred pound object into my truck and drag it all the way back to the police station. The cops statement/command implied that I was in trouble and I owed him or them this object and so on. I kept my temper but I got angry and, although it is two decades in the past I am still angry. My feelings were simply this: F-you you are no better than any F-ing theif or robber and that's exactly why so many of us would rather call a hippie than a cop in any circumstances. I was the sole source of information for that F-ing idiot who assumed that I knowingly broke the law and that he was going to make an easy bust by straightening me out. Yes I know what it's like to go to work expecting an easy day with easy questions and problems for which I have the majic touch all ready to go, that doesn't mean I can re-shape the world to my expectations of what the facts are going to be.
    That cop decades ago was wrong in his assumptions but his command, if obeyed, would have re-inforced the error and implied my guilt. I can easily imagine Crowley's "I got you, let's make this easy for both of us" type of command and the recognition lag of a righteous citizen plus the reaction of Gates who likely speaks in question-statements of a quality way beyond "Is that your final answer?". The missing moments between Crowley on the porch and Crowley in the foyer seem critical to that.