1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Is as Stupid Does: Obama Chimes in on Gates Arrest

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

It's nice to see that we have a president who calmly waits for all evidence before deciding an issue is primarily racist and that the police acted "stupidly". It would seem that blacks in Africa are supposed to take charge and clean up their act, to take responsibility for their own action, but not in our country. What responsibility does Gates have to behave differently? Any man who chased after a cop leaving and screaming at him would be subject to arrest. And should be arrested. Its so nice to have a color blind president who appears to drop the race card whenever he can. Like his mentor he does not appear to have as a goal for the races to work together equally but for blame to be assigned, not if earned, but if there are more than one race involved in an incident we must point out the history of inequality. Tired song, time to move on, sir.

2. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

My jaw dropped open reading that this morning.

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Money quotes from story here.

.. but I will continue to pontificate as though I do...

Idiot, that's not the reason he as arrested.. but please, continue on even though you've already admitted you DON'T KNOW ALL THE FACTS.

Echo-check

Wow, there's a huge fact we all didn't know yet but apparently he did.. GATES GOT SHOT BECAUSE HE WAS BLACK.

Oh wait...

And great timing with all of this, since everyone will now be chattering about him sticking his nose into a local police incident rather than his ham-fisted handling of socializing American health care, which is what the presser was all about in the first place..

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

When I first starting to read about this, I had to wonder what the actual story was. When the police started stating what had happened, I suspected that instead of cooperating with the officer, Gates got beligerant and started to spout off. A picture says a thousand words.

[​IMG]

So, instead of cooperating, Gates spouts off, refuses to calm down, and esteemed or not, plays the race card instead of thinking through the incident calmly. And this is what's teaching our kids?

What really pissed me off about all this is the MSMs ability to take an incident and turn it into "a black man isn't safe in his own home". What a crock of bullshit.

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Hell, you can even see the physical expression of the white cop to Gates' left... What does that expression tell you he is trying to say? What does the expression on the black cop's face tell you he is thinking?

You see why it's not worth it to be a cop today? You get called to a location by a citizen, simply try to identify the house occupant and get out of there, get screamed at and berated by the homeowner who is refusing to cooperate, then you get called stupid by the president of the United States.

And for the privilege of experiencing this work environment, you get paid a whopping amount of money, akin to a school teacher who at least gets 3 months vacation every year. Any wonder why cops' suicide rates are so high? Why our life expectancy is so low? Why we die of stress related diseases so much? It's not the hard core criminals that keep us awake at night, guys. It's shit like this right here. It happens to all of us, obviously not always involving the president, but this kind of political crap is in our faces all the time.

I'd go on a limb here and say Obama has probably alienated 95% of the rank and file here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dewitt60

Dewitt60 Farming with technology

That was a very heartfelt response Copzilla. I live in backwater bumbfuck Egypt but I drink coffee with the Sheriff almost every morning. This crap is in small towns and counties. Seems all they (electorate) want the police to do is write speeding tickets. Let the real bad guys go.

7. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Somewhere on GA is a link as to why I would never vote for a black person. I think many more Americans are going to be thinking that.
    This guy just fucked up big time. Why the hell is he getting involved in a local matter? Let his ACORN buddies do that.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't even know what this thread is about. I knew about Gates being arrested but that's it. Folks, you really need to assume that you are creating posts for people who are not on news channels 24/7. ;)

Sounds like Obama sided with Gates? I don't blame him. Gates came home, broke in to his own house from the back, got called on it by a cop, provided ID that stated his home address, and then we get in to he said/she said scenario.

To be honest, too much is being made of this as a big deal. This happens in America daily and sometimes it has something to do with profiling and sometimes it doesn't.

9. Sir Joseph

You missed the part where Gates did not listen to the Police. Just because he said it's his home, doesn't mean the police have to believe him. The police got CALLED, they didn't just happen by a black man's house.

10. ethics

I don't believe the proof Gates provided was solely audible but one of documentation. I believe the Cop admitted to that fact? So again, this happens throughout the US daily.

11. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I read the police report. Taking just that side of the story, no other evidence or claims of any kind, the police officer was definitely in the wrong, acted stupidly, and made the situation worse than it had to be.

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just curious..
    Where in this police report do you draw that conclusion?

Page 2 and 3 clearly state the reason he was arrested.

*hint* it wasn't for "being black in whitey's World" and it wasn't for "breaking into his own home".

If he had just shut his yap and complied with their investigation, (and thanked them for promptly investigating a report of someone attempting to break into HIS house) this would have been a non-issue.

But nooooo.. black President + a-hole screams racism at white cops doing their job = media feeding frenzy and further stirs up the racial divide in America.

1 person likes this.
  13. ethics

That's the thing, if you take the other side, Gates looks in the same light as the cops you've described.

14. joseftu

That's not the responding officer's report. That report is from a second officer, who arrived after the responding officer had already made things much worse. I was referring to Sgt. Crowley's report, which gives the whole incident from the beginning. http://www.amnation.com/vfr/Police%20report%20on%20Gates%20arrest.PDF

Gates showed Sgt. Crowley his ID; Sgt. Crowley was satisfied that Gates was the homeowner and that no crime had been committed. Crowley at that point had nothing more to say, and had only to say "sorry for the inconvenience, sir" and leave.

Instead he arrested Gates for being "tumultuous" in his own home (or on his porch--the same thing).

Yes, Gates was being an asshole (again, based only on the police report). He was obnoxious and rude. But that is not a crime, and the police officer had every opportunity to defuse the situation and leave, since there was no crime, nor any indication of a crime as he had already established.

The police officer screwed up. Did race play a role? Maybe not. This could have happened with a white homeowner, too (although I guarantee that the neighbor would not have called the police to begin with, in that case--there was certainly racism on the part of the neighbor who started the whole thing).

Crowley got offended and acted unprofessionally, in response to an asshole. Crowley may not be a racist at all. That may be why he got so offended. I've seen (even here) how people get completely outraged and unreasonable if someone even hints that they are evidencing a little racism. Being called a racist in today's world is a very bad insult (and Gates did mention the officer's mother, too--never a peacemaking move). But the police have more of a responsibility to absorb that kind of (verbal) abuse than normal citizens do. They often don't deserve it, and it's stupid and unreasonable to fling it at them. But they're supposed to be trained and responsible to take it.

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Wow, Joe's got amazing powers of telepathy. Now he knows the motives of the white female caller.

Take the day off, Joe, you're not yourself.

16. ethics

It's his perception, it's not any wrong or right than any others I've seen here. And to be clear, I am not siding with either of the two sides.

17. joseftu

Come on. Let's not play games. She saw two guys, one of them small and gray-haired and slightly crippled (he walks with a cane) and well-dressed, pushing on the door of a house. In broad daylight, in the middle of the day. In the front of the house, on the porch, in full view of the street.

You seriously want to suggest that if they were two white men (one of them elderly with a cane), rather than black, she would have called the police?

18. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I wouldn't suggest anything. I prefer to talk about the facts and the facts in the police report are that the officer was doing precisely what you said he should have done: he was leaving the house after verifying the ID.

Grant chose, at that point, to follow him out of the house and continue engaging in rather bizarre behavior. If I had to suggest anything, I'd suggest that the officer has seen enough mentally disturbed citizens in his career that the arrest was done more for safety's sake than anything, using disorderly conduct as the grounds for making the arrest.

But I wouldn't accept that unless the officer verified it.

Grant was engaging in conduct that is arrestable. He got arrested. The race card was played. Many jumped to his defense; others still can't believe the race card is being played. Just another day in America.

19. Sir Joseph

Yes. If someone was breaking into my home, I would want a neighbor to call the police.
    Are you saying that all I have to do to become a professional burglar is to put on an old man mask and walk with a cane and then I have free reign to break into homes?

20. joseftu

Well, you were talking about my comment about the reporting "witness." You made the telepathy comment. No? Or did my leg come off in your hand.;)

Who's Grant? ;)

What was arrestable conduct? He was standing on his own porch, saying mean things (in a "tumultuous" way--I wonder what the officer really thinks that word means?) in a loud voice. No complaints from any neighbors or anyone else about that, and in fact the "charge" was dismissed. He was handcuffed and taken to jail for yelling. Arrestable conduct?

Then I should definitely be arrested for some of the things I've said to Copzilla here. ;)