1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studying How Quakes Trigger Other Quakes

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Valkyre, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

For anyone who lives here in good ol' Shake and Bake California, or anyone else who's interested in earthquakes, CNN's Science and Space section has an interesting article about earthquakes triggering other earthquakes, days, even years later. The examples they used were the 1992 Lander's quake which triggered the 1999 Hector Mine quake. It's an interesting read.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not for nothing folks, but this is ONE reason I never moved to the West Coast as much as I thought that life there would be better than the East.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Yep, but even NY is not immune, you had one last year and the potential for a large magnitude quake is very real in NY and your building codes don't come close to the ones out here. Another interesting bit of trivia is that the largest known quake in the U.S. was actually centered in Missouri.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oh I know, Coot. I've read about it a while back. It's true our buildings would crumble like a stack of cards. I can't even imagine the fatalities (which I would probably be one of) here if that were to happen.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Yup.. Madrid fault.. Last time it cut loose it altered the course of the Mississippi River. Actually caused it to flow NORTH for a short time.