1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story of Soylent

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's a long read but it's an excellent write up by New Yorker. Basically, a guy was trying to invent something, invented something else that he thought had bigger need. Basically, a replacement for food. Replacement for cooking, shopping, and it's a fraction of cost. Think TANG but with much more balanced and better nutrients.

TO me? It's viable, but I wouldn't recommend it 100% and the article goes in to why. But I seriously see it as a place for disaster areas and disaster scenarios.

Anyway, check it out.

The End of Food - The New Yorker

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Nobody would want to eat this 100% of the time because there goes the joy of eating. I agree that it could be part of a solution for emergency preparedness. In researching I read anecdotal reports "lost weight, my acne improved, lost my dandruff..." Might be useful a hypoallergenic diagnostic tool by cutting out all but the barest essentials to see if something you are eating is causing your problems.

I noted that Amazon is selling The Ultimate Life - The Ultimate Meal, 1200 g powder $60 for the equivalent of 30 meals ($6 shipping). One thing, it would be a lot healthier than simply skipping breakfast and lunch. The reviews are interesting reading. IMPORTANT NOTE: I have no idea if this product is the same discussed in the article.

I'd like to see a breakdown of calories, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, etc., in other words the dietary information appearing on all food products.k

Nobody raved about the taste but I'm wondering if you threw it in a blender with a banana or something it might taste better.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The thing that turns me off about it is the short "shelf life". Once you make a batch, you gotta finish it quickly. Thankfully, they don't ship up here so I'm not even seriously tempted to try the stuff. :yellowlaugh:

5. Biker

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I ate this at New York ComicCon. :)

soylent.png

8. Biker

Guess you were one of the lucky ones. :D

9. Biker