1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop Pop ups?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cdw, Jan 15, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Is there a program or something that I can load so that I can stop these annoying pop ups? Something like the virus programs? If there is, go slow.... i'm computer challenged. :)

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

There are a number of them out there, you can get a free one from panicware.com

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

4. cdw

cool! thanks... its been getting rediculous. I don't even have to have a page open anymore... a pop up will come up out of no where.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally would recommend switching from MSIE to Opera or Mozilla. Both of which are more secure and have built-in pop-up blocking. The new Opera also has an excellent e-mail client built-in...:)

6. cdw

Shit. I can't. My computer won't let me download any software off the internet. I still haven't figured out why. All I get is a blank page with a little box in the upper left corner with a little red square, a little blue circle and a little blue triangle.
    Any of you little smarties know why that is? I didn't used to have this problem, it started about 6 months ago.

7. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

I use pop-up stopper from panicware -- no complaints.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Try right clicking on the link and choose "Save Target As" to get your download working.

9. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Cyd,

It sounds like you may have some programs loaded inadvertently on your computer. The pop-ups without having a browser open and the inability to download are two big indicators that you may have spyware programs installed.

I strongly recommend that you install and run SpyBot Search &Destroy to rid your PC of these nasty little boogers. Go HERE to download, if you can. Like Coot said, try right-clicking on the link, then Save Target As ... download to your desktop and run the installer (double-click on the file).

If you still cannot download, I can email it to you, or I can put it on my web site and let you FTP to it. (Don't worry, I can walk you through that).

Once we get you cleaned up, I second a vote for Free Surfer MK.

10. cdw

thanks guys... ok, i've done the right click method with both programs you suggested.... I have to restart so that the spyware thing can repair some of the things that it couldn't, which I will do in a bit. A whole bunch of stuff came up when I ran that program.... some the program automatically checked off to repair, some it didn't... I just left it as the program checked off. There were cookies to sex sights that I have never gone to, so I guess that comes from the pop-ups?
    Veddy Veddy interesting, lol. Boy, what a novice.

11. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Just another thought.
    Since I installed 'proxomitron' about a year ago, I have no idea what folks are talking about with all these new pop-ups and otherwise irratating things while brousing the web.

This is one powerful piece of software, if you are so technically inclined. I vaguely recall that I had to change just one of the 'defaults' to allow animated gifs; but, otherwise, I never changed a thing. It did what I wanted with the defaults.

No ads, no pop-ups, nobody tracking me via cookies, no problem surfing anywhere (it tells any site; ya sure-give me all the cookies ya want (changes them to temporary, which are shitcanned as soon as you leave the site)), etc.

I'm sure there are other products that will do as good, or better, job as Proxomitron, but, this is what has worked, for me.

Good luck in your quest.
    Regards,

12. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Another vote for Mozilla here. Not just great popup blocking, also lets you block cookies selectively. And it's free.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

14. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I use Proxomotron with a pretty aggressive set of rules. It is great! however, my settings are a little too technical for my wife and so I scaled back hers a little. It is very flexible, and the support is great!

wapu

15. claire

claire Registered User

16. IamZed

IamZed ...

I use adshield as well. Free and very good at slamming it down.

17. cdw

Well, the one that I installed keeps catching things...
    such as from the following:
    broadcast_desk
    the pointcast business (never heard of them)
    AOL preview channel (don't have AOL, but maybe it's coming from IM?)
    iVillage.com Parent (what the heck? I don't have kids, never been there)

The pointcast business thing is the one most coming up.

So, the program is working!!! YEAH!!!!

18. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Heh, your system is crawling with spyware. Look into DemiGoddess' links.