1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stonekettle Station

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Recently was told about a website, www.stonekettle.com. The gentleman who uses this site to present his views on many subjects lives with an hour of me. I have read several of his essays and like the way he thinks. I recommend this site.

Allene likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm reading his blog right now. It is very interesting. Thanks for the heads up, Shiny!

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I read "It's That Time Again" and I can see that Stonekettle does have writing talent. I don't agree that writing leads to being antisocial. I intend to write at some point and it's not all that different in my job since except when meetings require my presence. Otherwise I telecommute, which is more or less the same thing that Stonekettle does with his writing. Many of my friends work at odd hours as I do and my typical day involves many social interactions, and they feel like quality to me even if they are via phone, chat or text. I go out on dates, meet friends at the gym for Zumba, or invite a few BFFs over for movies or just nibbling and sipping. :) I even socialize with my colleagues from work, the nice ones, and most of them are nice. But I definitely spend 90% of my work time right in my den, and my work is not all that different than any other kind of writing in that I write code, but one day my English Lit degree will come in handy and when I go independent I won't need to beg for money. I think I'll be independent by 40 or shortly after, no more work colleagues (except the ones I keep). I don't believe the direction I'm headed is headed towards isolation. If Stonekettle thinks that's it, then I think he's either headed in the wrong direction or he's doing it wrong.

But never the less even though I picked a poor post to base my opinion on I do believe he will be interesting to read particularly when I read some of his political posts.

Just for the record, I'm a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I did vote for Trump and for the same reasons I think most voted for him: (1) HRC is a crook, (2) Trump is not a politician, and (3) I believed Trump would and could turn our economy around. Just a few things I'm disappointed about: (1) that I didn't put my money where my mouth is as soon as he got elected, and (2) he's such an asshole and please, somebody, take his Tweeter away. Trump is a lout and a boor, but I gave up caring when I saw what the economy was doing! That's when I jumped into the market and my future is coming up $$$. (And you know my favorite color is gold! ;))

I had some heavy convos with my sis (who lives on a different continent) and I've realized what a sham politics is, and I moved my interests over to Wall Street which has so far treated me very kindly. I watch the news more as a reality-comedy show now, Fox News playing on mute and good music playing on my sound system, as I type away my job. I presume Stonekettle is a conservative or we wouldn't be discussing him here, right? So right now I have to get back to a short spate of work before I settle into my evening and relax. (BTW I adjust my hours and turn in fewer hours than I actually worked, just because I'm honest and want to give my customer a honest deal.)

I'll read a few of his future posts and see what his politics are like. I'm always interested in discussing the subject with intelligent people which is why I joined this forum. So far I am not disappointed. :)