1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still have hope...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

:friggin:

SM

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I have to agree :friggin:

4. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Agreed!!!

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

At least the mother didn't strap him into a car and push it into a lake. She didn't want him, so she put him in a toy store where concerned parents finally took the reigns and called the authorities.

Honestly, IMO, this kid got out of that family in a better fashion than many other children. Though lucky sounds like the wrong way to put it, he really was lucky.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Gotta agree with Misu.

There are a thousand ways that this kid could have been beaten, molested, abused, and/or later killed.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

What's up with the can't release the woman's name under the child protection act? How does that affect the child if they don't even know who the father is and what the hell is going through these people's minds anyway? My wife and I would give much to be parents but due to my medical problems even adoption of an older child is out of the question as it would not be fair to the child. These 'parents' (I would like to use another word) have such a precious gift, how can they do this? I have seen much as an x-ray tech but some things are still beyond the pale.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The C.P.A. here is a legal mess that usually ends up giving more rights to juvenille offenders. There's been a huge push to get some changes made to the Act, however, until they're made, anything dealing with minors falls under the provisions of the C.P.A. Therefore, they can't release the mother's name either.

One a side note, Child Protection Services have been swamped with calls from folks wanting to adopt as well.

10. Domh

Domh Full Member

Well gosh guys, then I guess everythings ok isnt it?

:rolleyes:

I know you dont condone any of this nastiness as you are two exceptional people, but the way you turn the other cheek with this "coulda been worse" argument is disturbing.

My point in posting this was to point out that parents are brutally mistreating their children more and more often, and to me its yet another signal that things are falling apart in this country at an exponential rate.

Just because it 'coulda been worse' doesnt make this particular act of brutality any less brutal.

Frankly, theres no room for arguments of this kind on this issue. The only appropriate reaction is outrage and a call for a public lynching.

:mad:

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Lynching is to damn good for them. Under President Domhain's Administration, science will be turned toward the development to the enlightened method used in the world of Star Trek for such criminal acts. A implantable device will cause the perpetrator to be forced to re-live the last 15 minutes of his victim's life every 12 hours for the rest of their lives. Due to the advances in the medical field, they will live a very, very, long time.

At last the punishment will fit the crime.

12. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

I have to agree with Domhain.

The child could still have been beaten, molested abused or killed later, just not by the parents. Child molesters/killers, don't just find their victims outside, many are abducted from stores. the parents still put their child in grave danger, they didn't do anything heroic.

13. nitewriter

nitewriter To Perceive Is To Suffer

Acts such as this are intolerable.

Unfortunately I am reading about them more and more often if the paper and hearing about them on the news.

What we need are laws that would make the act of child abuse and abandonment an unthinkable actions.

Unfortunately our laws don't even make rape and murder unthinkable actions.

14. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

One of the reasons I love Texas...

A big misconception about law enforcement, a huge oxymoron, is "police power". Cops are the most regulated and scrutinized profession anywhere. We can't sneeze without someone filming it, and suing us for scaring them. I once had a complaint filed on me for a traffic stop because I scared a 17 year old male passenger. Not by anything I did, just by my presence. Police have less "power" than an average citizen in most regards.

But here in Texas, with regards to children, I'm given huge leeway. So long as I can articulate that a reasonable cause existed, my capability to seek out and obtain that child, a child in distress, is virtually limitless.

I once had a call-in complaint that a child was wailing in a nearby trailer. I went to the location, sought out the parents, who were purely trash, and asked them about what had happened. Of course, they refused information and were generally uncooperative. Without warrant and without permission, I entered the residence, found the children, examined them for physical abuse and found none, found that they were generally in good health and good size for their age (read - good enough nutrition), interviewed them about the day's events, and then released them to their parents again. I then filed a report with CPS, a chronicle of the event.

Was this a violation of the parent's civil rights? Surely. It was also right as rain under Texas law. Because if those children were in fact being abused, I would have found it right then and there. And children need to have a protectorate, a means to be found, where the predator is not permitted free reign.

Any law denies someone some freedom. We have speeding laws that deny the freedom to whiz down the road at breakneck speeds, and denying this freedom serves to protect the populace. In the case of children, the need to protect those innocents who have no other means of protection outweighs the inconvenience of those parents who occasionally have to endure an officer who insists on their compliance.

I have a soft place in my heart for children. Most cops I know are like me.

I don't fault these parents who left the child in this store. His life should be good from this point on, as a family will take him who <B>wants</B> him, and not just one who <B>had</B> him. Perhaps I'm thinking "All's well that ends well." I abhor the ones who leave their children in toilets in the freezing cold. If not but for the grace of God, the child would be dead.

15. nitewriter

nitewriter To Perceive Is To Suffer

Originally posted by Copzilla

I don't fault these parents who left the child in this store. His life should be good from this point on, as a family will take him who wants him, and not just one who had him. Perhaps I'm thinking "All's well that ends well." I abhor the ones who leave their children in toilets in the freezing cold. If not but for the grace of God, the child would be dead.

------------------------------------------------------
    Unfortunately I cannot agree with this, leaving a child unattended anywhere puts them at risk.

It is not always the good samaritin that finds them.

Although I agree that worse can happen I cannot condone the actions taken in this story for any reasons.

As for the god like powers of the Texas police where children are concerned.
    More power to you.

It our responsilblity as adults and concerned parents and citizens to defend those who cannot deffend themselves.

( Oh no, I'm starting to sound like Mr. Bush ;) )

16. Domh

Domh Full Member

LOL - Ok thats it, Im naming Mike as my running mate, asking Steve Moore to be Secretary of Defense and hoping Leon will be Chief of Staff.

;)

Back to reality - Todays punishments invariably fail to 'fit the crime' and its heart wrenching. Its tearing this country to pieces.

When 'a jury of your peers' reviews evidence, passes judgement and sentencing, and then a judge overturns their decision, the judicial system bends over and screws itself in the bum.

When rapists and murders and child molesters 'walk on a technicality' every single one of us is victimized.

Our modern judicial and penal systems simply do not work.

Humans are not as complicated as we like to believe. When they see severe penalties for severe transgressions, they consider their actions more carefully.

We MUST radically reform the judicial and penal systems in this country before its too late.

This country is becoming a nation of criminals and victims of criminals.

17. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

We have a law in Florida that says if you have a newborn child and you do not want him/her, leave the child at a fire station within three days of birth and you are under no legal jeapordy.

"Newborn Bill- Oct. 1,2000 law allows parent to drop off less than three day infants without notice at fire department. The Department of FL Children will provide logo 12 in. to say Safe Baby Center or Baby Diaper House in Back "

This was done after the rash of newborns abndoned by mostly teenage mothers including one who had given birth while at her prom:

"Melissa Drexler, the New Jersey teen who killed her newborn baby during her high school prom in 1997, was released after serving only three years of a 15-year sentence."

It is a shame the older children cannot be afforded the same protection and even with this law, people still abandon newborns rather than place them in a protective environment.

18. IamZed

IamZed ...

I had myself fixed when opportunities to create/ruin children loomed. I am older now and do care greatly about the welfare of children. I am glad I stopped myself before I got a grip and understood. Producing children you dont want is disgusting to me.