1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still burns me up!!![RANT]

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bruzzes, Dec 27, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

It still burns me up how the view new posts show 20 new threads and in the process of reading them and maybe posting a response they disappear before I have a chance to check them all out.

I do use the back button but it still happens.

Wish that one could mark individual thread as read and not have any of them disappear UNTIL you click on all forums read.

It is indeed frustrating to have to go to each Forum to look for the threads that disappeared before you had a chance to read them.

If there is a way to change this, or perhaps explain a way to prevent this I would be greatly appreciative.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I've honestly have yet to encounter this problem, not even using the back button.

Does this happen over a long period of time? The timer is set for 600 seconds which plenty to read a thread.

What do others experience?

3. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Mostly I have lots of time to read all the threads, but occasionally I've noticed that the new threads listing does indeed reset itself after what seems only a minute or two... perhaps there is a glitch?

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

It happens frequently for me.

I almost always skip the new thrds first and search first for the ones I had replied to. Then I try and catch up on the newer ones.

I am also interested if others have encountered this problem.
    I hope I am not the only one...misery loves company!

I use IE6 if that is relevent...

5. ethics

It should NOT revert after a few minutes!!!!

Damn it, did I screw something up?

jc warned me too. :(

I'll look in to this.

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Ethics, this has been happening to me since my first post Oct 1st.
    I am sure it is not connected to any changes you made or are making now.

It might be something to do with my browser.

7. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I don't have the time or opportunity during the day, while at work, to come here, so when I get home in the evening, there are anywhere from 50 to over 100 new/newly replied to threads. After I have read about ten, time's up and the "Go to first unread post" link is gone and all are marked as read. If I go to the Main Page, then back to View New Posts, all but the ones posted since I first entered the site are gone after about 10 minutes.

I have found a way around this. I use Mozilla or Phoenix to browse the forum. I go to View New Posts and click on each thread I am interested in while holding the Ctrl key down, which opens each one in a new tab in the browser window. With IE, one could click the thread links while holding down the Shift key which would open each one in a new window, which is OK until you get more than 10 or 12 windows open, then the computer might start to lag and navigation becomes a bit tricky when opening even more new windows from links that are posted.

Which brings me to another question ...

When most people post links, they open in a new window. However, when Ethics posts a link, it opens in the same window.

'Splain dat, Lucy!

8. ethics

Just me? Now THAT is odd (Twilight Zone music theme starts playing)...

I'll look in to this ASAP.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I posted about this way back. thanks for checking it.

10. ethics

Sorry, thought it was an anomaly more than anything. It has never happened to me since I use Opera. Don't even know what the problem is. Perhaps a bug...

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Probably the same one that landed me in the UIF again. BS meter just went over the op. I apoligize to all innocent bystanders.

12. ethics

Fixed. PLEASE let me know if this happens again.