1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Spielberg: Hollywood Buffoon

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by drslash, Nov 1, 2002.

1. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

How can anyone not be critical of a broken and failed communist regime that keeps the people's living standards nearly in the gutter, unless you have your own political agenda that is hard left-wing. The plight is Castro's doing and not the United States.

I'll ask you, what's worse, the embargo that was brought on by Cuba itself or Cuba's policies of repression that results in no free speech and jail for dissenters? If the embargo was dropped tomorrow there would still be no free speech and Castro and his regime would just become richer than they already are.

In my book, anyone that is not explicitly critical of Castro is implictly supportive of his regime. So, in the final analysis, Spielberg doesn't like one policy of the BSA and basically calls the BSA un-American. Freedom to associate with those of your own choosing is totally American. And you have Cuba, a country that is run by a dictator, that couldn't be further from American values and ideals and Spielberg bashes the USA over the embargo while making no mention of wholly anti-freedom policies of Cuba. Spielberg is a self-righteous hypocrite and a buffoon.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The best way to turn the tide in Cuba, to guarantee it goes the democracy route is to free up the embargos and let its people see what it is missing.

I agreed with the embargo when there was a world wide communist threat. I do not think the embargo is punishing Cuba's people for any crime they are committing or any threat Castro is to the US.

Spielburg is entitled to his beliefs, one of them is that the BSA is too restrictive. To my knowledge, he did not say they did not have the right to those beliefs, a big difference. Withdrawing support is his right and is at least as American as having a restricted mebership by belief in a god.

I fought for our country in Vietnam and server 26 years total in war and peace, regular, reserve, and national guard. I too believe the embargos have served their usefullness and should be put aside. Many others in this forum agreed. Are we all unAmerican? Or does Spielburg have to answer to a higher standard given his popularity?

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Sorry Shiny, your all un-American ;) If the Communists gave some indication of a desire to address these issues, I could see working on relaxing the embargo, which we have all ready done at two different times. However, unilateral elimination of he embargo is not something that we should support. I just think of those Jet Fighter's that downed two private airplanes in the 90's, who were flying outside the Cuban Airspace, all aboard both were killed. Castro is a bastard whether we are reasonable or not, so I can see giving up after he dies, but not one second before.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Jim, are you saying Cuba is Communistic?

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Internally for their citizens yes they are, in the tourist zones it is more like capitalism for the State.

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Doesn't exactly sound like a "slam" to me, just a reasoned comment that describes a question many of us have...

7. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Many people have questions about Castro's tight fisted totalitarianism. In my judgement, the Castro regime does not deserve to have the embargo lifted. If Castro allows free speech and dissension without jail, I would be all for lifting the embargo.