1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Spielberg: Hollywood Buffoon

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by drslash, Nov 1, 2002.

1. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Steven Spielberg in a fit of conscience resigned from the Boy Scouts of America board because of BSA's exclusionary policies. I won't be holding my breath waiting to hear Steven Spielberg bash Castro as the communist dictator, oppressor, and murderer that he is when he visits Cuba next week.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

OK, he resigned in a hissy fit from the board of an organization that he couldn't even trouble himself to learn their membership requirements before joining the board?

Moron!

3. drslash

Steven Spielberg was well aware of the BSA's membership requirements. He is (was) an Eagle Scout. He has been involved with scouting to a large extent until he quit. He used to send personal letters to Scouts congratulating them on earning their Eagle Scout award. He just used his high profile position to publicly bash the BSA. I, for one, will not spend another dollar on his films.

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Actually, that information changes my opinion, somewhat.

I see nothing wrong with a person wrestling with a matter of conscience and then going back against something they've believed in their entire life.

If people can't change, then society can't, either.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

And just like the BSA will continue practically unaffected by his leaving, Steven Spielberg will not be any less rich because you choose not to support his films. :)

Perhaps he stayed in the BSA in an attempt to get them to change their minds? Have cases of members being kicked out or people not being allowed in happened several years ago or is this a moer recent phenomenon? If it is the latter, then that would explain why he remained in the organization for so long. I don't think it is really fair to call him a moron for it. His leaving shows his disapproval, and your not buying his movies shows your disapproval of his disapproval. It's all perfectly fair AND legal.

By the way, this has to be said. Why a re-release of E.T.? That needed to be done about as much as the original Star Wars trilogy needed new special effects. Argh!

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Thank you! People certainly do change their opinions on things, especially when they are open-minded enough to consider other people's opinions. I have changed my mind at least partially on several topics just from reading the fine posts on these forums.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

RRedline, to address one of your questions, about the seemingly recent phenomenon of people publicly leaving the Scouts and other groups due to sexual orientation:

I believe that it's only been within the last 10 to 15 years that being homosexual has become de-stigmatized enough for many people to out themselves. Although there have always been openly-gay people, I'm sure they have been far outnumbered by those who stayed in the closet to protect their families, careers, even their very lives.

We see more protests against such policies because more people are comfortable confronting those policies.

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Exactly! And that's what Steven Spielberg is doing. That doesn't make him a "buffoon" as the title of this thread suggests. It's not like he is sueing them or trying to force them to change their stance. He was unsuccessful in persuading them to alter something that he feels is unjust, so he decided to leave the organization. There is nothing wrong with standing up for something you believe in. After all, isn't that what the BSA are doing?

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

If Spielberg is a bufoon for doing what he believes in, then I guess I am a complete asshole. ;)

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Ya know, Spielberg is an entertainer, just as Streisand and others. If we take their political leanings to mean anything shame on us, not on them. The fact that they have a built in audience for their statements of politics certainly does not mean we have to listen to them. I still like Streisand and think she sings beautifully. I don't confuse that talent with political acumen. And I don't with Spielburg either.

11. drslash

So by his silence about Cuba we can assume he approves of Fidel Castro and how that country is run? He will gladly sell his movies to that scummy country (not the people, their suffering is not their fault) and say nothing? Will he use a high profile event with news coverage to say anything against Cuba to allow for maximum exposure to his views? The fact that he even goes to Cuba speaks volumes to me. Calling him a Buffoon is probably an insult to buffoons. I would rather use Ethic's choice but, I try to keep the name calling somewhat clean.

12. ethics

Quote from the article:
    This thread is not about what he didn't say but what he did say. I totally agree with him 100%. He didn't like the policies, he quit, in which he calls quitting 'painful'. The reason he didn't quit before is because, like me, he wasn't aware of the BSA policies towards gays and atheists.

I'd rather people voice their concern like Spielberg did, than the mindless babble from Streisand and Sarandon.

Your problem was that he didn't say anything against Cuba and this makes him a hypocrite? I disagree with that logic. If I were speaking on something that personally concerned me, and I quit a group that was dear to me, like BSA was for Spielberg, I am not sure if I follow why Spielberg had to do with Cuba.

13. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

No, it doesn't mean we have to listen, but that "built-in audience" sometimes means that a point is publicized far better than without them. I certainly don't make my decision on any issue based on what some "star" says, but I am still glad to see that not only is an interest taken in what's going on around them, but they are talking about it in such a way that people will be exposed to these issues.

However, it is then up to the individual to further his or her education, not accept blindly what this person's opinion is.

14. drslash

If you have looked closely and read everything you would see that Spielberg used a public forum to bash the BSA and yet he will be going to Cuba, presumably to make money under the guise of cultural exchange. Will we hear anything from him about his disagreement with Fidel Castro's policies? If we don't hear anything, does he approve of Castro's policies?

Come on Ethics, get with it. This is my third post in this thread saying the same thing.

15. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

This man produces/directs some pretty decent films that entertain me and my family.
    Entertain.
    He's good at it.
    I (we) never hung our beliefs on his.

He made a decision based upon what he thought was right, in his experience in this life. He's doing what he belives in. Good for him.
    Yup, it's interesting what he believes in.
    But, I afford him no more import regarding his opinion than anyone else posting in this forum. Interesting, perhaps. But, nothing more than that.

In my opinion, the Boy Scouts are a private orgainization, entitled to their own rules. Don't like it, go elsewhere.

Personally, I was more interested in Ethics statement;
    "If Spielberg is a bufoon for doing what he believes in, then I guess I am a complete asshole."

The chalenge prompts me to come up with a convincing argument that Spielberg is wrong. ;)

But I cannot.
    Regards,

16. ethics

He makes movies, man, he is not a politician. BSA experience was personal to him, his trip to Cuba is business.

Besides, I am not so sure that Cuba is the demon that the US paints them. If they were, they would be officially wiped from the map.

17. drslash

18. drslash

All the more reason to say that he is a hypocrite. He is willing to over look the repressive regime in Cuba to make money. Sheesh.

19. ethics

Let's wait till he goes there and comes back. Many have had their eyes opened after trips like this, minus the Jane Fonda's of this world.

20. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Hold up, drslash. You ask all these questions about what Spielburg will do once he is in Cuba; do you expect someone here to tell the damn future??

This trip is <i>intended</i> as a non-commercial educational exchange with cinema students, first and foremost.

Don't forget, Spielberg is the man who made "Schindler's List" and let an entire generation who didn't have a frigging clue know of the atrocities committed during WWII. Film can indeed be a powerful medium not only to inform, but even to bring about change...

A person who is known world-wide as an entertainer may well have a better chance than any politician at exposing the problems of a society.