1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sterling Debacle

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Can someone explain this to me?

The guy IS racist. No doubt. But he was speaking his mind in his own home, no? Or was this a public gathering?

Because if this is setting a precedent of where we are going as a country, every founding father is rolling in his grave.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't think it was in his own home. I'm a bit bewildered by it all as well. I keep seeing reports that his wife is suing the woman who recorded the conversation. So yeah, he knows he's being recorded and he's complaining about how the woman he's been seen with is posing with some of the other players and posting the pictures.

I don't know enough about the whole thing to make an informed decision. Did he say it? Yup. He did. Does it warrant the ban and probable attempt to force him to sell the team? I don't know. I have some serious misgivings about that whole punishment. Not that I agree with what he said, but I think it sets a horrible, horrible precedent.

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I'm with Tom. Yeah, what he said was gross, especially to a mixed-race girlfriend. And it doesn't make sense, since over half of his employees are black. Then again, racism doesn't really make sense to me in the first place. But forcing him to sell the team and letting him net close to $1B in the process?

They're within their rights to make him sell, I think. Aren't all the pro leagues basically a private club? So they're within their rights to say, "You don't belong in our club any longer," which is basically what they're doing. There's precedent for this anyway, going back to Marge Schott and the MLB Reds.

I'd have real heartburn if it were the government forcing him to sell, though.

4. ethics

Thanks, that clears up a bunch.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

I wonder when the media is going to pick up on the fact that it is very likely that the woman to whom Sterling was speaking when he made his private personal comments to was breaking the law by recording the conversation?

Many states including California have such laws. Depending upon the circumstances of the recording the crime can be either a misdemeanor or a felony.

Also when is the media going to tell us exactly who this woman is overall and that includes her relationship with Sterling, the Clippers, or anyone else of interest? What motivated her to leak the private conversation to the media? (I assume she leaked it as that's implied in some stories and absent any other explanation is a reasonable assumption.)

Of course some of the key questions, many being addressed here but that will be ignored in the feeding frenzy of this freak show with Sterling and his racist views:

1. What "crime" did he commit?

2. Does the punishment fit the "crime?"

3. Who actually committed a crime in the true literal legal sense of the word?

4. What is the punishment for the person, if any, that committed a genuine crime?

5. Is it fair for professional sports teams/leagues be given special immunity from laws and accountability, (anti-trust, etc.), that the rest of the society is not granted? They are given powers that far outstrip other private business in the United States.

6. In dealing out the punishment for the "crime" is there a dramatically different standards depending upon who the person is that committed the "crime?" For instance if the owner had been Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan and they said the exact same thing but directed their comments to whites instead of blacks under the exact same circumstances and it was leaked under the exact same circumstances as with Sterling what would have been the response? One could also ask would the result have been the same had the person not been a generally notoriously disliked person such as Sterling but instead was a very successful and admired professional team owner like Robert Kraft or Dr. Jerry Buss?

Sterling's racial views aside, he has been the worst long-time owner of any major professional franchise in America during my adult lifetime. (He has the record to prove it too!)

Taking the Clippers entirely away from him regardless of the reason and deservedly or not will be good for the franchise immediately and down the road.

Given his private remarks made public his resulting "firing" will be good for the "community."

ethics likes this.
  6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Cali is a 2-party state. Good point.

Mark Cuban nails the whole situation, by the way. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/133...ppers-owner-donald-sterlings-racist-comments/
    Hit the blink for all of his comments.

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The bylaws call for a three-quarters vote of the owners to force a sale, and my money is on a unanimous vote.

8. ethics

Given his private remarks made public his resulting "firing" will be good for the "community."

This is Soviet Union mentality. And I know you agree with me because of the quotes.

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

The things he said were heinous, but they were said in private. We all say shit in private that, if made available to the public at large and we had unique positions (such as being a rich, white owner of an NBA team), we'd all hang.

There's something messed up with this process. I want to know who recorded the conversation, and who released it, personally. (The mysterious Instagram entity known as "V. Stiviano" comes immediately to mind.)

10. ethics

I'll wait for the inevitable sex tape.

11. Biker

According to her lawyer, there was never a **cough** romantic interest.

What the hell does romance have to do with it? :D

12. ethics

Define sex

13. Biker

The accepted definition or Clinton's definition? :yellowlaugh:

14. ethics

Being facetious. Now I hear that the woman is DEVASTATED AND DIDNT KNOW IT LEAKED!

15. Biker

Uh huh.

I think I heard a resounding BULLSHIT when that excuse was uttered.

16. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Sterling might survive the vote, I've read that other owners are worried about the skeletons in their own closets.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

I have been wondering the same thing. I wonder what the woman's agenda was, and what legal role she will play in this drama, including being the recipient of a civil lawsuit from Sterling and possible prosecution for illegal recording of a private conversation.

One point that needs to be determined, exactly where was the woman located when she made the recording and what are the state laws there?

But I agree that Sterling is a bastard and deserves a comeuppance. A serious legal question though, due to legal process and Constitutional rights, are the rights of this bastard also being violated?

Could be a lot of lawsuits and prosecutions flying. Certainly enough to distract America from real issues such as a dysfunctional government.

18. Biker

Marc J. Randazza pretty much nails what's been troubling me over this whole mess.

Aside from the probable illegal recording, I do have some serious heartburn over the actions taken against someone in regards to statements made in what would be assumed to be a private conversation. In the age of social media, where a comment can go viral in minutes, where does the expectation of privacy start or end? It's bad enough we fear our own government and its penchant for spying on citizens. But when you start looking at your closest friends with suspicion, it's time to rethink where society is heading.

19. Arc

Arc Full Member

By my standards Sterling did nothing wrong. Zero. Nada. Zippo.

The NBA may have the last word but it may be a lot less than what they are saying now. In the end no matter the outcome the NBA is going to regret their initial reaction even if they do achieve their stated goal. They likely will at the very least end up trying to reshape their current public perception by many of being an arrogant, angry, vengeful God.

ethics likes this.
  20. ethics

A million times this!