1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotyping Drivers

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 11, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A two-year study of half a million UK motorists by an insurance company found what both genders have known since the days of Model-T: <a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-473031,00.html">women can't park, men run over pedestrians and drive into walls. </a>

<blockquote>[Women are] almost twice as likely as men to have a collision in a car park, 23 per cent more likely to hit a stationary car and 15 per cent more likely to reverse into another vehicle. Men, however, ... are involved in more head-on collisions, kill more pedestrians and are 27 per cent more likely to hit a barrier or wall.(<---married men I presume?) ;)</blockquote>

While on its face this is not a great revelation, the psycho-sociological implications are immense. Allan Please in his best seller <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0767907639/qid=1036757409/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2202071-1801439?v=glance&s=books">Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps</a> claimed that the parts of the brain that controls the ability to judge distances are under-developed in women.

<blockquote>Spatial ability is one of the male strengths. It allows them to calculate the distance of prey, to estimate how fast they will have to run to catch it and how hard they will have to throw a spear to kill it. Since women stayed at home in the caves, tending their children and venturing out only in the immediate proximity to gather food, their spatial abilities were never developed.<Blockquote>

Another blanket evolutionary excuse or does this writer have something?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Gotta wait to see if it is politically correct. Would not want science or fact to conflict:)

3. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Yes. No. And his cave man example is moronic .

I've got to get this in as a first post so it doesn't seem like I am picking on anyone who thinks the moron and his cave man story is correct.

4. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Re: Re: Stereotyping Drivers

Why is it that the evolution of animals and their instincts are valid explanations for differences in the male and female species in nature, but is immedialtely discounted in humans? Humans evolve. We are not all the same. Men's and woman's brains are different. Simple fact once we take the <i>Politically Correctness</i> out of the science.

wapu

5. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Hmmm. So what's wrong with me, then?

I drive far better than most of the men I know, am the one who knows what's wrong with my car before the mechanic gets his hands on it (if I don't fix it myself), and am the one who plots the course by checking the map before (or during) a trip. I repair 99% of what goes wrong here at the house (plumbing, electrical, mechanical and cosmetic), and repair my own (or other people's) computers, whether software or hardware problems.

I can also cook very well, clean well (when I feel like it), decorate my home, help my neighbor's children with their homework, etc.; all the so-called "womanly" things. I understand Peanuts and Plato, Hugh Downs and Hugh Prather, or Ralph Kramden and Ralph Ellison equally well, and can express a coherent written or verbal opinion about any of the above.

I don't intend to sound full of myself here, only to offer that my environment and my drive to continuously learn anything and everything have had much more to do with my capabilities than evolution seems to have had. I really don't believe I'm all <i>that</i> unique...

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Just like any generalization, it doesn't apply in the specific in all cases.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I kinda agree with this because I recognize this in myself - I cannot tell distances nor how fast something is going. I have a REALLY hard time finding my way around the city without the use of landmarks - if they were to take out the gas station that's across the street from my complex, I would have a REALLY hard time finding my way home at night, since there's no lights nor road signs in my section of the road leading to my complex - my husband, on the other hand, can find it merely by knowing where he's at and how fast he's driving... He doesn't need any gas station to let him know he needs to make a right turn.

I especially have trouble telling distances and speed at night, so I try to get out of having to drive at night as much as I can.