1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by SixofNine, Jul 1, 2010.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Steam has been mentioned before in these forums. It took a few alerts about tremendous bargains here and over at DSLR, but I didn't break down and install the free client until last night.

It's a pretty slick system, and it's easy to see how it wouldn't have been possible in the era of 28.8. :D

Some folks elsewhere were excited about getting The Witcher for $13, so I made that my test purchase/download. All I know about the game is that it's an RPG.

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I tried Steam out, but I thought it was a little too intrusive for a game shell. I tend to dislike things that install into systray unnecessarily. I also didn't care for TF2 so much, which is what I used Steam for. So I uninstalled all of it.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You are both right.

1. It's a really neat way to distribute games. Saves a ton in S&H, boxing, cover art, etc...
    2. It IS intrusive as hell. Wants to come up with the PC (unless you disable it in msconfig).

CS was the only game I tried it and I loved that game so much that I was able to overlook point #2. Most people don't/ can't.<_<

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I'm going to shackle it a bit because it committed the cardinal sin last night: it popped me out of the middle of a WoW raid to let me know that there was an update to the client. :holyshit:

I know there are settings such as telling it not to start up automatically when the PC boots up, but I'll dig into the settings some more to see if I can get it to know its place. :)