1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCraft II To Be Released On July 27th

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, May 3, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. ethics

LOL! Well, that answers my question.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Actually, in a moment of foolishness I ordered it (when am I going to have time to play?), mainly to get a beta key. Of course, I haven't had one spare moment to play the beta.

4. ethics

Blizzard has spent over $100 million developing StarCraft II. Initial development on the game began in 2003. Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick "described StarCraft as one of the company’s seven 'pillars of opportunity' (where each pillar has the potential to deliver operating profit between $500 million and $1 billion over its life span)." The finalized system requirements for the game have been released, and players planning to buy the digitally distributed version can download it now, though it won't be playable until the 27th.

Seven years, folks. I think Blizzard has surpassed that balance between enough time to make an awesome game in to waiting way too long. Tech moves VERY fast and if you are not quick enough, you will constantly end up REWRITING engines.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Which was the exact reason Duke Nukem Forever was killed.

Heck, how many years has it also been for Diablo III? I remember playing DII in 2000 and it was kinda old then and it's just now getting even close to beta.

6. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

7. ethics

EXACTLY!

8. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I don't understand - aren't all games supposed to be revised periodically, to keep up with technology?

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sure, updates and patches are fine, but this is on the level of say a car company promising to come out with a new model next year that will blow the doors off their last year's model, then delaying that release for 6-10 years because each year they had to redesign the motor because technology constantly improved MPG's by 1-3 per year, and all the while promising to the masses one word..... "Soon™"

10. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I'm wondering if they can design the game with future developments in mind - if they know processing speeds are going to be 4 times faster in three years, perhaps they should factor that in. Or perhaps they have factored that in, but technology is moving even faster than they can anticipate.

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Two days after release, I walk into Fry's and buy the collector's edition. Which means the reception on this has been very lukewarm. That said, I do not regret buying it, as it is a very good game. It has much the same feel as the original Starcraft and Broodwar, but it has been amped up to today's standards of graphics. Basically, it's Starcraft on steroids.

The collectors edition comes with a 2gb jump drive that look like Jim Raynor's dogtags. On that jump drive is a fully functional version of Starcraft the original, which is really cool, because my old version was Macintosh, and I use a PC now. I'll play it now and again. The dogtag effect is really cool also, as it lights up, looks all space age, etc.

Also with the collectors edition, your WOW toons will get a new pet... A miniature terran dude who flies around and shoots shit. It's pretty cool.

Bad side - I could run it for about 20 minutes, and it would bring my whole system down. Just complete blackout. I've seen this before though, when running really hardcore graphics programs, the processor is strained, and it just all heats up too much. Only happens with the cheap heatsinks that come standard with processors, and I had used the one that came with mine. I went today and bought a new Coolermaster heatsink that looks like a freaking jet engine, and once I got it home I realized I had to completely disassemble the machine to put it on, because the new heatsink would not mount to the normal mount on the mobo. It required me to unscrew that normal mount, and put a mount on that had a back that was on the opposite side of the mobo, and it screwed on with bolts. Yeah... my heatsink is bolted down to the processor and mobo. It's actually pretty cool. And it fixed the problem handily. I ran it today without issue after gutting my computer and reassembling it.

So, what to expect of SC2... Same style of gameplay with better graphics, more missions, easy, regular and hardmodes, a few new types of units, and Sarah Kerrigan is totally an asskicker. Leaving it at that.

All in all, I think SC2 is a pretty good release. I'm not mad I bought it. It will give me a lot of entertainment, that is for sure.

12. ethics

Good review. I ended up buying (digital download) yesterday. So far impressive.

13. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I loved the original version, but I'm concerned that the current one will also require a large investment of time and effort, and I'm just a casual gamer. How hard is it?

14. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I canceled my order when I got laid off, but my wife and I agreed that it will be a reasonable "got a new job" gift to myself. :) In the meantime, I finally got into the Cataclysm beta and will probably jump on that this weekend. Leap of Faith, here I come. :D

15. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Here's a gee-whiz review.

I'm seriously thinking of getting into it, since I've never played a real online game with others, but I don't know if I can commit the time to relearning the game.

16. ethics

Pleasant surprise when I finished the campaign to see Tricia from BSG do the voice for Kerrigan.