1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Review] Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

We had a "long lunch" at work and caught an 11:45 AM show. I loved it, a notch behind Empire Strikes Back.

Rey, Finn, Kylo, and underutilized Poe were all great. The human legacy characters (except for Luke and his 10 seconds) were the weakest part of the movie. They probably felt obligated to include them, and as a fan I wanted them to, but yeah, 10-15 years too late. Ford and Fisher came off as tired to me, Fisher moreso. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the brain trust's thinking in killing off Han was to check the legacy box and move on. It would work fine for me if Luke is the only human from episodes 4-6 whom we see in the sequels.

Hey, when Rey went into that basement following a little girl's voice, and then touched the light saber for the first time, I assume she was that little girl in the flashback, being either dragged away or held back while that ship took off? The ship looked like the Falcon, too, no?. Maybe Han and Leia had twins. :) I'm taking my family after Christmas -- I'll have to watch that flashback scene more closely.

Lupita Nyong'o is excellent as Moz, too, and I'm surprised that we didn't get to see Gwendoline Christie's (Captain Phasma) face. Would have been nice for them to show Brienne of Tarth!

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I took my youngest to see it. It's been ~38 years since I first saw A New Hope.

Cried like a baby when The falcon appeared, and when *it* happened on the catwalk.

I understand, it's a galaxy far far away and a long long time ago, but Jebus Christmas on a cracker, I'm emotionally invested in these characters...

And a huge HOLY SHIT to Daisy Ridley for pulling off the character of Rey.

Definitely will see it again and again.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow, you rarely LIKE something, less LOVE something. I have to admit that playing SWTOR got me even more invested. Can't wait to see it.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

But but but but.. I wanna see it from the Sith point of view, kicking Republic butt all over the Galaxy! :lolaway-5:

5. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I thought the movie was great and did justice to the franchise.

Some of it (I won't go into any details to spoil it for that one person who hasn't seen it yet), was a tad rehashish from early episodes, but definitely really good. Also sets up future movies perfectly.