1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSA to reach into Mexico

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Dec 19, 2002.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9342-2002Dec18.html

"Pushed by the Mexican government, the Bush administration is working on a Social Security accord that would put tens of thousands of Mexicans onto the Social Security roster and send hundreds of millions of dollars in benefits south of the border.

White House and Mexican government officials say discussions on an agreement to align the Social Security systems of the two countries are informal and preliminary. But excerpts from an internal Social Security Administration memo obtained this month say the agreement "is expected to move forward at an accelerated pace," with the support of both governments, and could be in force by next October. "

2. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

There is something truly wrong with that, when they're already telling us the baby boomers and beyond may need to make other retirement arrangements...

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That report has to be in error.

4. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

correct me if I am wrong but didn't they cut American Social Security?

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

See, if we had elected Al Gore Social Security would have been put safely in a lock box. Instead we are funneling it to Mexico...

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

No Techie, it doesn't matter which party is in office, either one would gladly do it irrespective of what the American people want. Both parties are whoring themselves out for Latin vote and the prospective latin voters.

This whole issue is something that a high number of Americans are deadset against. The pols have rightly guaged that while the opposition numbers are high, the passion for it...outside the most heavily impacted areas is low and that if they support this, they can keep your vote by supporting something else that you're more passionate about.

7. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

8. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

9. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

While I am in complete agreement with Coot on what he posted, the Democrats are the ones who handed immigrants SSI whether they worked for it or not.

10. Coot

There's not a problem paying those claims, it's what's coming down the pike with Dubya wanting to legalize the status of millions of illegals.
    Essentially, what your government would like to do is give your money away to criminals who not only entered the country illegally, but compounded the crime through the use of forged documents and in all likelihood has screwed up some other American's Social Security account, in all likelihood their income taxes and quite possibly their credit standing.

It's not enough that the average American pays for the illegals to be here and gets nothing in return. The one's benefitting are the illegals and their employers. The rest of us just pay to the bone for their medical, their children's education and for the damage they do to our infrastructure etc.

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Huh? where are you getting your facts from?

1) SSI is for aged, blind and totally disabled people only. Work is not an issue in that program, and has not been since it was enacted. Nor was it an issue for three predecessor programs that it replaced (see paragraph 2). Nor has it ever been restricted to non-immigrants. Very few programs are. And by the way, many US citizens are immigrants.

2) SSI was enacted during the tenure of Richard Nixon, well knowwn to be a Republican. It was a federal replacement for programs of Old Age Assistance, Aid to the Blind and Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled that had been operated at the state level since 1935, with the federal government paying part of the cost. The federalized program was adopted with strong suppport from most governors, both Dem. and Rep., since it shifted the cost fully to the feds.

12. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Yes, for the aged... like senior citizens. And the Dems gave it to immigrants whether they retired here or not so long as they were legal.

13. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

And...

<li>Lyndon Johnson and the Democratic controlled House and Senate took Social Security from an independent fund and put it in the general fund so that Congress could spend it.
    <li>The Democratic party put the tax on Social Security.
    <li>The Democratic Party increased the tax on Social Security with Al Gore casting the deciding vote.

And that's right... You heard me correctly. Immigrants moved into this country at 65 and got SSI Social Security. The Democratic Party gave that to them although they never paid a dime into it. Then, after doing all this, the Democrats turn around and tell Americans that the Republicans want to take their Social Security. And the worst part about it is, people believe it! :rolleyes:

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

If the SS benefits are going to immigrants who legally came here, that's fine. I do not agree with them being paid any monies they may have deposited into a fake SS account, or otherwise stolen account - using someone else SS number is a felony, and they shouldn't be rewarded for doing that.

If this is going to persons who aren't legal, wtf?

15. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

There's nothing fine about it when they didn't pay a dime into it Misu.

16. Coot

Jeezus Haywire, the portion of the money that is intended to be paid out to people who legally worked here is fine, as we have agreements to that effect with 20 other countries. It's the plan to start paying money out to illegals who worked here under forged documents that is, IMO, the real problem with all this. If they worked here legally and paid into it, that should not be a problem.

17. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

No no, I meant if they worked and contributed into the SS fund.

18. mike

mike mesmerized

If they worked here legally and paid taxes legally, then it is not a problem. It's when illegal immigrants who run/jump/swim across the border and then get social programs (medical/food stamps/$$$) is when the normal taxpayer feels chapped. Again, doesn't anyone here remember Prop. 187 in CA? Overwhelmingly passed by the voters (effectively denying all programs to illegals) and one judge Marianna Pfaelzer who struck down that measure passed by the citizens. What a democracy.

19. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I have no problem with people who worked here legally and <b>paid into the system</b>. But, just as bad as paying to people who had forged documents is the fact that the Democrats handed immigrants, 65 years of age and older, SSI when they weren't even in the country, much less paid anything into it during their younger years.
    Whew! I hope so, Princess! ;)

20. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So people who are 65+ should not come here, because (GASP!) they won't get any SS or any form of help?

Hay, do you think before you write or do you see red and start typing stuff without much thought?