1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by joseftu, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Well it has been fun so far. The cell phase an creature phases were quick and enjoyable. The movie for progressing from creature to tribal is funny as hell.

At tribal it switches to an RTS style game. I have never enjoyed those much so it will be interesting to see if the game continues to be fun.

During the creature phase it was nice to come across many of the creatures I had made using the creature creator. Good to know all that was not lost.

Before getting into the game proper I played around with the ship creator. Lots of interesting options in there. I made one design and saved it. Imagine my surprise when that ship turned up during my creature phase and abducted some of the other creatures running around. :haha:

Each phase seems to have its own play style. I am curious if this will be a good thing for variety or if it will be a game killer as it so often is when games fail to hold true to a core style.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

R&W Web is calling it a FLOP! What the hell happened? I've been waiting for this game like no other and as RWW states:

Currently on Amazon, Spore has a rating of one and a half stars based on the reviews of over 500 people. Taking a closer look at these reviews explains that the biggest problem with Spore is that it isn't evolutionary in any way.

Wow, disappointment of the year!!!
  3. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

I read somewhere (I think it was on DSLReports) that people were giving it bad reviews solely based on the DRM that EA is using. I think it is 3 installs and you have to call them to unlock or something like that. *It was early and I hadn't finished the coffee*

I tend not to use one review for the games I buy, sort of like movie reviews. The person who reviews it might hate that genre so they are going to give it a bad review while some one else will love it.

I also think some people are giving it bad reviews because of EA. So far I love the game and so it was worth the money.
  4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Well, I will say this--it sure doesn't teach anything at all about evolution. It's not very realistic at all, and could probably even hurt people's understanding of how evolution does work.

But it is fun. It's a toy, not a game, as the NY Times reviewer said. It's a pretty good toy, though.
  5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Here's a Consumerist piece on Spore, EA, and Amazon ratings. There's some unhappy people out there. I'm likely to skip it over the DRM as well. 3 installs? I might do that in a year.
  6. Brazbit

Good thing it is 3 installs in 10 days and the count resets for each marker after 10 days.

I have made it through the tribal and civilization stages. The game is still fun and sucks time away like nothing else. I swear I was only playing for an hour or two when I looked up and found it was 11, nearly six hours had gone by. Els is talking of installing parental controls on my computer. :haha:
  7. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I'm still in the tribal stage, but still having fun.

I noticed a spacecraft flying around over my tribe's village! That was cool!
  8. Brazbit

Yeah the first spacecraft I saw was one of my own design. It gave me the Deja Vu achievement for having seen my own vehicle from a different game world. Was kind of neat actually.
  9. Domh

Domh Full Member

Spore Origins for iPhone is a BLAST!

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oooh, it's there?
  11. Domh

Domh Full Member

Hella yeah home-slize! Whazwrongwitchoo!?
  12. Brazbit

Well I made it into space and after an hour or two cruising around in my star destroyer abducting unsuspecting life forms and endlessly clicking stars to find the one that my mission is on just to get there and have my home planet under attack, warping home, taking care of the attack and having to find the dot again and oh wait now my colony has an epidemic, ok fixed that now where was my quest click click click click click ah there it, crap I am out of energy, warp home, back to quest, click click click click click, ahh pick up item, fight off another attack, babysit the colony, now to deliver the quest item, click click click click click click click, wrong system, click click click click click click, another epidemic, click click click click click attack, click click click click.... (*&^% this I am going back to cell stage.

Space was supposed to be the fun part. Luckily I enjoy the rest of the game.
  13. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

That was a long-assed sentence.....
  14. Brazbit

15. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Several thoughts on Spore:

1. The first four phases of the game are really just a prolonged species configuration screen. You're setting yourself up for the fifth stage of the game, the Space stage, which will easily consume 4x as much time as you will spend in the first four stages combined.

2. The galaxy is big. Enormous. Maxis did a damn good job communicating the sheer scale of how big the galaxy is (I think they estimated it contains upwards of 500,000 planets), making up for how tiny the individual worlds are (when you view them from civilization onward). For the past two days I've played the Space stage, and I've only managed to explore about 1/5th of the spiral arm my species inhabits. Colonized only about 1/20th of the same spiral arm. After my home cluster branches out to pretty much any unclaimed system for about 15 parsecs in all directions, I'm placing deep-space colony clusters so that I don't have to travel far to dump off my loot.

3. Creature creation and evolution is simplified, yes, but that doesn't really bother me. People generally need to realize the first point I made, that the Spore game really doesn't start until you make it to the final stage.

4. This game consumes a veritable ton of memory. I'm convinced it's compiled for 64-bit addressing, because I've gotten the game to consume 65% of my 8 gigs of RAM. That's after about ten hours of constant play in the Space stage though. That's where the memory consumption really kicks in.

5. Procedural generation ftw. It's damn amazing how a game this big can only take up 3.4GB of drive space on installation. The more you play through the game, the more content it downloads from the servers too, yet we're not talking about a significant amount of space taken up cuz, again, it's all procedurally generated, so each creature might only take up a couple of kilobytes at most.

6. Once you get access to the Uber Turret, place one on each of your colonies (spice trading to get money to buy this stuff) so that you don't have to run back to defend them every time there's a pirate raid. The Uber Turret's far more effective than I am at defending colonies, and don't worry about the occasional "pirates have made away with your spice" notifications, it doesn't affect anything in the long run cuz spice appears to be an infinite resource.

7. Don't worry about not necessarily finishing missions for your allies, the lowest you can go is -50 for failing to complete missions, and really all you have to do is complete enough missions beforehand for +100 to balance that. Combined with being nice and occasionally generous, and they'll be :D towards you even if you ignore them for the rest of eternity.
  16. Pyrion

What I find funny about the Mac version is that it's really just the PC version of the game with an abstraction layer sitting on top of it.
  17. Pyrion

Yeah, the game doesn't autosave. That's one of its critical flaws, IMO, cuz you could go several hours without saving if you're not careful and it all goes to waste if the power goes out or the computer crashes.
  18. Pyrion

They're calling it a flop based on protest reviews. The vast majority of those reviews come from people that never bought the game.

Seriously, Amazon needs to revamp their reviewing policies to require that you've actually bought the product from them (logged to your account) before you get to post a review on it.
  19. Pyrion

Three installs in a year either means you're violating the EULA by installing it on more than one computer, or you fail at maintaining Windows installations. The typical user should have to do no more than one Windows installation per computer per year.
  20. Pyrion

Um, you do know about the lower left quadrant of the screen having those display options you can enable that, among other things, tell you where you're supposed to go if you're on a mission, and what worlds you've already visited?