1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spell Checker for IE

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by tke711, Nov 14, 2002.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Over at the "other" place, there is a built in spell checker when you preview your post. For me at least, this was very handy because I'm am absolutely terrible at typo's and spelling errors.

To be honest, I've really missed that feature and had, up until now, resorted to copying my text into Word before posting here at GA.

Well, after doing a little research, I found a neat little program called ieSpell. It adds a button to IE that allows you to spell check things you type on forums or websites as long as you have IE has your browser. It's very easy to use, free, and is spy-ware free.

Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone is interested.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am very interested - got a link?

3. tke711

Sure do, it's in my original post. Click on "ieSpell" and it should take you to the site.

I've been playing with it some more this morning and I really like it. You can simply highlight what you want spell checked and then either right-click and select "check spelling", or click on the new button on top of the browser that is installed.

Very simply and easy to use.

4. tke711

Here is a screen shot.

5. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Thanks, very handy! Ugly

6. ShinyTop

I should not ask embarrassing questions til I have fully awakened. Thank you.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Excellent find! I missed that feature as well. Off to install it, thanks!

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

test

OOO cool, it fixed it! I love this thing - it's like the spellchecker that word has, that you can add words to it. Awesome. Danke :)

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

AS you all know, I've worked a whole week without sleep in trying to put a spell-checker together.

This is MUCH better. ;)

Thanks for that hint.

I DO believe this was mentioned a month ago. I just never followed up.

10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ethics, why not just provide a link to this great little program? Or better yet, house is in your server and distribute it? You might need permission to do that for use with your board, but I think that's what the guy wants.

I really like this one cuz you can add words to it. So if you intentionally want to misspell a word, it'll let you :)

Like right now, I just added the word "cuz", cuz that's how I type when I'm relaxed.

11. ethics

I asked, he said he doesn't need mirrors. He needs $$$.

So I donated. :)

12. ShinyTop

What's great about IESpell is that it offers suggestions. Beats the hell out of the spell checker in that other place. Don't have to have a window open to Websters.

13. tke711

I agree Shiny!

Like Misu said, it's just like the spell checker in Word or in Outlook. Very helpful.

14. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Sweet! Now I don't need my trusty but coverless and worn-out Webster's taking up real estate on my desk!!

15. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I tink dis is a graet ting end I wil uze it lotz.

Tanks !

diM

16. mikeky

mikeky Member

I don't need it; I don't make msitakse.

17. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Anything for us Mozilla folks? (Maybe I'm standing alone on this...)

18. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

No, you're not. Well, not necessarily. I don't need a spellchecker, but I'd like to see more Mozilla-friendly features. :)

19. jaykaykay

jaykaykay 2 Good 2 B 4gotten

I used to recommend good old Merrium Webster and have a button for the little lady in my Links, but once I found IE-Spell, I've hardly had to use her except for some more of the lesser known words, the ones you probably won't find with the little lady either. IE-Spell isn't the next best thing to knowing how to spell. It is that only thing other than knowing how to spell! :nut:

20. ethics

LOL JKK. Ever since I installed this gem, I have been using it profusely. :)