1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Shuttle out of Communication!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Just on CNN... landing space shuttle has been out of communication with ground control for 22 minutes. NASA has declared a "situation"

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

www.cnn.com also has that headline at the top of the page as Breaking News.

Ah man, I hope that it turns out to be nothing, or something very minor.

Will have to keep an eye on this story.

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

Was JUST about to post this!

Israeli on board. Stinger?

Call me paranoid, but you can set your watch by the shuttle landing, and this is the one to bring down, if your looking for a terrorist action.

Update - just saw video - multiple trails, looks like parts of shuttle might have broken up.

Not good.

4. tke711

Here is the only story they have about it yet. Not much information on what's going on this morning though. Mostly information about the mission itself.

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Oh FUCK FUCK FUCK weve lost it man - we lost the fucking shuttle... that video says it all.

Im ruined. This is BAD.

6. tke711

I just saw the video as well.

It definitely doesn't look good. I noticed at two different points it appeared that things were "breaking off" the shuttle. I take it that is not normally part of re-entry.

Oh man...

7. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

Damn video - blocked view the INSTANT the breakup occurs.

If this ends up being terrorist action of ANY sort I want to see oceans of fucking glass. No questions, no answers, just retribution, swift and permanent.

I cant explain how incredibley upset I am.

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I just saw it. Blew up over Texas. It's a fricking space shuttle its not supposed to blow up. We sent it to fricking space and back a ton of times. Freaking terrorist cowards!

10. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Considering security on the shuttle isn't much less than a nuclear silo, I'd have a hard time seeing how a terrorist could do this.

On the other hand, expect <b>tons</b> of anti-US groups to try and claim credit for it. It's a perfect PR trip... you don't have to do a thing, just say you did, then you're famous.

I'm sure al Qaeda will try and use this to bolster their "we're omnipotent, you won't know where we'll strike next" line of bullshit.

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

at 200,000 feet in the air, itd take alot to take it out via ground or air.

cant possible imagine how it could have been sabotaged.

theyve done this so many times, how could this have happened.

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I highly doubt it's terrorism but if I'm not mistaken is there an Israeli on board?

13. IamZed

IamZed ...

They are telling us how it happened now. They saw debris fall of the main tank and strike a wing on takeoff. Nasa must have known this might happen since then.

14. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Prayers and condolences to those family members who were waiting at mission control center for the arrival.

This is a major loss for all humanity....

very very sad morning :(

15. Domh

Domh Full Member

Yes there is an Israeli on board this one.

Again, I cant logically consider how terrorism would be possible. Only option would be sabotage, which is almost completely impossible.

Debris hitting wing could certainly explain alot.

16. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

It was at 200,000 feet, Out of range any type of anti-aircraft missile. The only way that terrorisim could have been possible, would be if there had been a bomb on board.

I think as sad as it seems, it was just some type of catastrophic failure or human error.

I pray for the astronauts and their family

17. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

No terrorist missile could have done this. That does not rule out sabotage but the hand held missiles have altitude limit of less than 20,000 feet.

18. IamZed

IamZed ...

CNN just said crew ejection will not be possible due to the uncontrolled reentry. The debris is traveling at mach 6.

19. Domh

Domh Full Member

Shuttle hasnt had any ejection option since the first 2 flights.

As sick as it may sound, the only even slightly logical sabotage explanation would have to revolve around the Israeli himself, but thats a serious stretch.

He would have to have sabotaged, and then ensured that he left retreivable evidence.

Everything points to catastrophic failure, but man - one in a million failure. Cant see what could have gone wrong after all the times NASA has succeded with this aspect of the shuttles mission.

20. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

This is very sad. What a terrible thing to have happened.