1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southern Chocolate Cake

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Allene, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Here's a very special recipe for chocolate cake that I found in <i>Southern Living 1982 Annual Recipes</i> during my North Carolina years. It was submitted by someone from San Antonio, so it can join the other great Texas recipes here.

Perfect Chocolate Cake

1 cup cocoa
    2 cups boiling water
    1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    Filling (recipe follows)
    Frosting (recipe follows)
    Pecans (optional)

Combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until smooth; set aside to cool.

Combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla; beat at high speed of electric mixer 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beating at low speed of electric mixer, and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overbeat.

Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool the layers completely.

Spread filling between layers, and spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with pecans, if desired. Serve at once, or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Filling:
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar

Beat whipping cream and vanilla until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until peaks hold their shape.
    Chill.

Frosting:
    1 (6-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
    About 1/2 cup half-and-half
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Combine chocolate morsels, 1/2 cup half-and-half, and butter in a saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; add powdered sugar, mixing well.

Set saucepan in ice, and beat until frosting holds its shape and loses its gloss. Add a few more drops of half-and-half if needed to make spreading consistency.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Wonder if it is as good as the ones I buy at the bakery. :)

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Bob,

You'll have to try it and decide for yourself. It's a very moist cake.

Allene

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Excellent, thank you Allene!!!

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

That sounds good! If you want to 'kick it up a notch' as Emeril would say, add a tablespoon of Kahlua to the Frosting recipe, reduce it down to the desired consistency.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Good idea, Mike. Thanks.

Allene

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Now this recipe has my attention. I'm a bonafide chocaholic.