1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

`Sorry, But My Children Bore Me To Death'

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In order to understand the issue (if it's that) is to read this column (Here, she argues provocatively that modern women must not be enslaved by their children).

Kirwan-Taylor wants everyone to know that she loves her two boys, Christopher, aged 12, and Ivan, aged 10, very much. It's just that many tasks associated with motherhood leave her "bored rigid."

She'd rather go shopping or have her hair done than attend another child's birthday party. Her disenchantment with mommy tasks began very early on, "when my eldest son was less than ten months old." When her children were young, she says became a workaholic to avoid having to spend time with them. She essentially let the nanny raise her sons. She says other moms tease her because of her lack of knowledge about her children's school life. Kirwan-Taylor says:
    But wait, it gets better:

So what do you think? A bad mother or someone who is pushing the revolution further.

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Perhaps selfish, self serving biatch would be a better title for this insult to motherhood! Motherhood (and fatherhood) are by no means "glamorous", but the rewards are infinitely more satisfying than any job related accomplishment could ever be...

Boring? Hell, if I were to describe my 30 years of being a father, "boring" would be the last word I would think of to describe the rollercoaster ride of parenting!

Perhaps the birthday parties are boring because she's not the center of attention. How can a parent not find joy and elation in watching the face and eyes of a child celebrating a birthday?

This "woman" (and I use the term loosely) is no mother by any stretch of the imagination. She was merely the incubator from which these children were hatched... :vmad:

BDD...

1 person likes this.
  3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I think she is incredibly selfish above everything else.

Yes, raising a child isn't always "fun", "stimulating"or "exciting" an can be boring at times and very tedious. But, that's part of the job, and the really hard parts only lasts about 18 years, and the hard parts are NOTHING compared to the joy you receive in return. As a parent, you then have the rest of your life to do as you please.

Not all woman can be stay at home moms, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just means that they need to be very available to their children after work and on weekends, for the sake of their children.

Our children thrive on love and need to know that their parents love and care about their interests and lives. The more involved parents can be (to a point of course), the better the chances are that the child will grow up successfully, without a lot of behavioral problems.

To me, it sounds like the woman in that article wanted children, but really doesn't want them to interfere in HER life. They should just be some thing in her house that she can pull out when she wants to. Sorry toots....it doesn't work that way for mothers or fathers.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

What he said. Parenthood is not entered into for entertainment. If that is your goal, get the operation and have a ball.

5. ethics

Anyone read the comments from the readers? Damn, some pretty pissed off moms there and rightfully so. It's people like this author who demean the entire role.

On top of that a child psychologist opined "I find her attitudes disturbing and ridiculous."

SMUM! A new word is born!

6. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

SMUM....I like it, and it describes this woman perfectly.

As a parent, it's always a balancing act in regards to how much the children are the center of the world. Catering to their every whim is not good and leads to a lack of independence and confidence. The other extreme of all but ignoring your children is equally, if not more, damaging.

7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Well, I certainly understand her point. The problem is that she is a parent and now has to step up to the plate.

I have absolutely no desire to be a parent and therefore, I'm not a parent. I never wanted kids.

My advice to her is to stop whining and do what you have to do.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Just goes to prove that children can't pick their parents, as I can't possibly see anyone picking this self absorbed woman.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Women who deeply want children but are unable to have children just love to hear stories like this.

10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

People who don't know how to occupy their free time just shouldn't have kids.

11. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

I don't understand this. How can people be like this? I don't understand this kind of attitude and the ones where the parents just walk away from their kids. I thought parents were supposed to move heaven and earth for their children. Or is my family just weird. When we have kids, their will be the most important people in my life. I will do anything I can for them (not spoil them but make sure they are happy kids)

Some people should just be ejected from the gene pool

12. ethics

That sounds like my wife. She would, literally, do and give anything for our kids and I consider her (as of now) the BEST mother in the world and I love her to the core for it. To me, strength is being an awesome mother, great wife, and a wonderful friend and companion.

Strength is not a great job with a wonderful career when you sacrifice the family.

13. Arc

Arc Full Member

I honestly believe that the majority of people who have kids should not have done so and that they were not and never will be suitable by my personal criteria to be qualified to be parents.

I consider the successful act of raising a child to be a mature, caring, decent, loving, and competent useful human being is the greatest accomplishment any human being can do in their lives.

14. ethics

I don't disagree.

Which is why I ask why this woman went on to have not one but TWO kids? If her revelation came when her first was 10 months, why did she go ahead and have the second? Just because you are equipped with a uterus doesn't mean you must utilized it.