1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY backing Staroffice

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Sony dumps MS Office for StarOffice
    08:24 Friday 6th December 2002
    David Becker

By the end of the year, Sony will include version 6.0 of StarOffice on most consumer desktop PCs sold in Europe, marking another dent in Microsoft's dominance of office suites

Sun Microsystems announced a deal on Wednesday to install Sun's StarOffice software on some European Sony PCs, marking another defection from dominant Microsoft products.

By the end of the year, Sony will include version 6.0 of StarOffice on most consumer desktop PCs sold in the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, according to Sun. Microsoft's Works package is currently used on most of those PCs.

More at:
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2127117,00.html

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

And here in the US, we still use Microsoft Office...:-/

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Not everybody. Some of us prefer superior products. :)

There is a little chipping away here, too, though. A couple of manufacturers (HP and someone else) will be including a Corel suite on some of their models rather than MS Works.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And it still will not beat Microsoft, in at least ten years.

Staroffice was free when I tried it, and while it was great it had bugs that I just kep discovering. Some of the bugs were fatal to my document--which took hours to compile.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

ethics: http://www.openoffice.org/ is the Open Source codebase on which StarOffice is based on. I've personally lost more Documents to Word than to OpenOffice...