1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something to consider when buying your Geek Gadgets

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Many people want to go out and get the best deal or the top of the line model. However something that everyone should consider is the memory cards. Their are many types. The big 6 are Compact Flash (CF), Secure Digital (SD), MultiMedia Card (MMC), Smart Media (SM), and Memory Stick (MS), also a less known one known as XD is coming out. Generally your going to want to get everything the same type of flash memory because you can use the same card for multiple things, making life easier, and saving you money and confusion.

Right now the most popular would be Compact Flash. Cheap, readily available, high capacities, and already has lots of accessory cards for it. It is popular with PocketPCs because of the expansion ability. I personally have a D-Link 802.11b CF card for my Zaurus, they also have GPS, and cameras among other things available. Also the IBM Microdrive comes in a CF card. However the CF cards are bigger than any of the other flash memory cards available today.

Also many PocketPCs also have a slot for SD in addition to CF. This is the up and coming format, and it is nice because it is small (about the size of a postage stamp). Also SD is used by Palm in their PDAs. Although not often used, the main feature of SD is the copyright protection technology. MultiMediaCards can also fit in SD slots and are generally a little cheaper, but aren't available in capcities higher than 64MB. Expansion via SD card is starting to become available through the new SDIO standard. Some industry analysts believe that SD will replace CF as the dominant standard in the future...

Smart Media I've only seen used in MP3 players and Cameras. The cards are wafer thin, and prices are comparitive to compact flash. If you just want a camera and MP3 player then this is fine, but if you plan on adding other gadgets such as a PDA to the mix stick with CF or SD.

Memory stick is Sony's proprietary format which is currently found exclusively in Sony products. It is about the size of a small pack of gum, but not as thick. There are some accesories available for it such as a camera, but not much. Sony PDAs, cameras, and computers among other things have MS slots. Only stick with memory stick if you plan on using all Sony products.

XD is a new format coming out, small similar to SD, I have only seen it used in some cameras. I'd personally stay away from it until the market decides if their is room for another flash memory format.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Great advice!

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I bought my Fuji Digital and it has CF, but now I see most of the newer cameras (except Sony) going to the SD cards. I would have been nice to use my extra CF in my Palm, but alas, as you stated it uses the SD.