1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Hints for the New Forum

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I get the streaks on occasion, as well as the funny behavior with posts that Matrix mentioned, but in general the site rocks since the upgrade, for me. Much faster loading.....
  2. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Yea, I beleive the symptoms might be related.
    It now seems to take quite a while before things are updated, <i>sometimes</i>?
    (Which is a tough nut to crack, eh?)

Let me offer this symptom regarding 'slow page loading'....
    If you look at the scroll bar to the right of the page, you'll see it expand, then contract, then expand, then contract, etc (as it's loading the thread).
    With the old site software, I never noticed this.
    [With the speed of my hardware, and internet access, I don't see this on any other site that I frequent].

And, if I interrupt this loading by scrolling a bit past the initial post of the page, I'll often wind up on the 10th post on the page, instead of the second, as the loading catches up to where I put the cursor.

But, not really a problem.
    Simply a PITA.
    To me, this new 'upgrade' is simply doing things a bit differently than the old software.

And, as the consensus seems to be that these symptoms have nothing to do with the 'upgrade' on the server end, I'll continue to investigate exactly why my machines and this site now seem to be at odds.

So far, I see a few things that are being handled differently from 'before'.
    To observe in further detail, I'll have to bring my Network Associates software online.
    As it's too cold to go fishing, perhaps I'll do this in the next few days.

But, make no mistake, something has changed, and it's affecting a few of us.
    And to comment that everything's ok here, is not a lot of help in figuring out what's going on......eh? ;)
    The quest to see what's going on here willl only be forwarded with submissions of specifics, yes?

I'm looking at this issue because this site, that I enjoy, has become a poopy (speed wise) place to visit on the net.

But, I'll not bother this thread again, as I feel that any findings I might come across probably will belong in a thread in the technical forum.

Meanwhile, I'll pretend I'm on 48k dialup and try to keep up with you folks. ;)

3. Neo

Neo Banned

Ah, here is a very consistent and interesting phenomenon.

On posts that are edited the following things happen at my end:

1. If I edit the post and then submit the post comes back blank. Later the edited part appears. Sort of that is. the very bottom part of the post may be missing half of a line as in you see the top half of the letters of the last sentence.

2. Even days after a post is edited, be it mine OR someone else's you pull up the thread and the edited post appears but is blank of the text. Then the text appears. THEN it disappears. It may then reappear. All in real time. (All except the "smilies" which seem unaffected!)

Frankly, I never trusted that Steve Moore guy.
  4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I've noticed this too. And I have also found that if I scroll the page up and down a few times, the text will appear. Also, if there is a link in the post with the peek-a-boo text, hovering over it will make the text start to appear.

I have also run into this issue while coding web pages. It's an IE6 bug. If it is the same issue, it can be corrected by adding height: 100%; to the CSS in the BODY selector.
  5. Neo

Neo Banned

Noticed which, the Moore issue or the site one?

Regarding the "adding the height: 1005; to the CSS in the BODY selector" I haven't a friggin clue what you are talking about! :)

However, what I did do was go to GA using Mozilla 1.5, and guess what? All of the problems I've mentioned in my previous posts including the slowness in loading have disappeared!

Something of interest, no?

Now if there was only a spell checker for the Mozilla!

PS: Thanks for the info!
  6. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Noticed the disappearing, peek-a-boo text.

The CSS issue would need to be resolved by an admin. CSS is a the code that tells the page how to appear ... layout, colors, text, etc. are controlled by the CSS.

Here's a little snippet of the CSS for this page:

background: #E1E1E2;
    color: #000000;
    font: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    margin: 5px 5px 10px 5px;

That tells the page to display with a background color specified by the HEX code #E1E1E2 which is a medium gray, to use black for the text (#000000), to display text in Verdana and if that is not on the users machine, then in Geneva, or Lucida, etc. Finally, there is a margin around the page of 5 pixels at the top, right and left, and 10 pixels on the bottom.

Since the disappearing text doesn't happen in your Mozilla browser, I would bet on it being the infamous IE6 bug.

The Moore issue, streaking of the page before it is fully loaded, is something I have seen elsewhere. My own web site does it sometimes. I have a piece of code that calls information from another server and if it is lagging, it slows the whole page load down. Dial up users will see this more often than those with broadband. I'm not entirely sure, but it has something to do with partially cached graphic images ... and of course, is an IE6 issue.

I am also seeing a horizontal scroll bar on some pages here. I am looking for that solution now.

And the graphics for the bubble quotes seem to be misplaced.
    Edit: Yup ... the quote graphics for this post are being called from globalaffairs.org/forum/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-left.gif while the ones in Matrix' post are being called from globalaffairs.org/forum/images/css/misc/quotes/quot-top-left.gif
  7. Neo

Neo Banned

Demi, after reading your post you are the first person to make me genuinely feel like a moron! :) (And that is a compliment to you!) Oh, others have thought I was a moron but they were always wrong. (The fools!)

Not in this case.

Now how about the spell checker for Mozilla? Then I will use Mozilla just for GA! (Should we blame Gates or Opera boy?)