1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Hints for the New Forum

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 18, 2003.

1. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Hmmm .... that sounds like a challenge to me. Do I get a prize if I figure it out?? :D

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I'm really having trouble the last two days as well. Pulling up a thread is slick, but when I try to post or insert a smilie, it'll take 30-40 seconds, and my progress bar on Opera 7.23 freezes sometimes. Wasn't happening a few days ago.

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Ditch, you're using Opera, right? Maybe this is an Opera resource problem. It's happened before.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Try IE and let me know.

5. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

grrrrrr, I'll try. Remember when I was having the resolution problem a few weeks ago. I set up the res on my computer so the quote boxes and regular post fonts were the same size, but to do so I had to increase my resolution on my screen. I'm able to compensate for that in Opera with larger in browser fonts, but I can't in IE (you can increase fonts two sizes but that's not enough to read anything) so I'm out of luck if it's an Opera glitch. It was working so nice before, too.

No, doesn't seem to have a problem in IE, damnit. :vmad:

6. ethics

The quote boxes went back to normal. They alternate in a way but I will get rid of the one with images.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes I am using Opera, atleast at home I am. I'm on IE at work and the Smilies load immediately. :) :happy: :cool: :friggin: :banghead: :eek2:

8. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I use Opera at work, and everything is <i>really</i> slow, including loading threads. Could be my internet connection at work (heavily loaded DS3), but I didn't have this problem with the old forum on the old server, or the prior version on this server (same Opera browser).

I use IE6 at home, and it flies!

9. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

I've never seen any in boxes...... is this a clue for Demi?

10. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Just FYI....
    Since the new server or software or whatever the latest <i>upgrade?</i> was:
    My pc's are most certainly taking longer to do <i>anything</i> regarding this site.
    This new look seems to have slowed me down quite a bit here.

I'm not complaining, but I suspect something is amiss as I'm pretty used to <i>immediate</i> click and get, with my machines.

Running IE6, on Comcast cable.

Y'all got enough horsepower to run this latest <i>upgrade</i>?

Again, this is not a gripe (I love this site, even though it's getting slow as whaleshit) ;)
    ...just FYI.

Regards,

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am on IE6 with DSL and the site is running very fast for me. I don't think the issue is horsepower on the server.

12. ethics

It's a quad Xeon server with 1 gig ram and it is certainly not it. The site is flying for me on IE.

13. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Heh.
    Well, everything must be ok then. ;)

I will now duly commense to investigate why my otherwise lightning-fast pc's now insist upon dogging their heels, only on this site, since the <i>improvement</i> (especially in <i>loading</i> a thread, which now takes just this side of forever).

If all you guys are 'flying', then I suspect I'll simply need to change a setting in something, somewhere.
    And, with the several clues offered, I'm sure I'll pinpoint the culprit soon.
    I'll let you know what I find.
    Thanks.

Regards,

14. Neo

Neo Banned

Still some bug(s)in the edit function.

Sometimes the edit button does not appear.

After you edit something and hit save changes the new edited post pops up with the changes for just a second or two but then all of the text in the new edited message disappears and only a blank post shows.

However, if you hit edit or reply when the edit or reply window pops up the text is there. It just is not there on the post appearing in the thread.

Strange.

15. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

And, also.....

Since the <i>upgrade</i>, it (sometimes) seems to take quite awhile before my 'reply' appears in the thread.
    It shows up in the main view that my post is the latest reply, but it's not there if I look at the thread. It sometimes takes 10-15 minutes for it to show up?
    (But, maybe I'm on probation or something?)

Ya, I know, it just seems to be something on my end, as I'm one of the few to notice anything different.

Perhaps my security is more strict than most(?), I dunno.
    I'm looking at it.

Regards,

16. Neo

Neo Banned

Actually, if I am understanding you correctly is sounds similar to my problem with edits appearing.

17. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

This place loads quite a bit slower then it used to for me too, since this last version. I notice it, but I'm getting used to it already. Pages load much slower.

18. IamZed

IamZed ...

They seem to at times for me. At times not. The way they load when not is unfamiliar to me. Both on my laptop and my PC when it is slow I can scroll down pre load and somehow distort and stretch the page in a way I have never seen. That might just be me though. I have to wait about 5 or 10 seconds for it to catch up.

19. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I've seen this quite a few times myself, Zed. If I scroll down when it is slow loading, it will leave "streaks" down the screen much like when ink is wet and you drag a piece of paper over it... And here I thought it was just something wonky going on with my video card...

BDD...

20. melpomene

melpomene Banned

I am getting those "streaks" as well BDD. The whole site takes forever to load for me.