1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Hints for the New Forum

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I would allow your browser to keep the images. I am assuming since it's the first time on the forum since the upgrade it is downloading all of the little images.

2. Neo

Neo Banned

No edit function or feature for me either. Only the two reply features.

Looks great.

Previous upgrade gave me a static condition of slow to pull up anything or navigate--very similar to I believe what either Demi or Violet were having--took me 10 to 15 seconds to pull up thread.

BUT with this new upgrade everything flies. Go figure. No change on my end at anytime so there might be an interesting technical story there if anyone ever has time to be interested.

3. ethics

Should be able to see it now. It was a bug, not it's fixed.

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Ok thanks Leon. I see the subscribe function now also.

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

I never understood the new post option I guess. Now it offers 20 posts per page, yet I have often been left with but one or two links in the morning, if any at all. Is it within my ability to control the moment that I go from looking at twenty posts to looking at that bar that says I have seen all there is to the internet, please turn back?

6. ethics

I honestly do not understand what you are asking.

7. IamZed

IamZed ...

Thats why I havent asked it before. It confuses me more than I have time to explain. It is like I am hitting the now absent show all posts a read button. Everything goes away about 5 in the morning. One minute I am looking at the full twenty posts I have set as standard, and the next there are absolutely no posts to see and I get a page telling me that. I made no action to erase all post history, it seems to happen by itself. Each day I must start over from one post, then two, and so on till I can again see twenty. I always assumed everyone but me understood the workings of this.

8. ethics

I still don't understand. What do you mean by one then two then twenty posts. If you see new posts, just go in to the thread or press the button on the thread--which will show only new posts in the thread. After you leave that thread, go to the next one that's in BOLD.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

What happened to the button under each message to send sender a PM?

10. ethics

Click on their name, Bob, it's all right there.

11. Robert Harris

Clicking on the name takes you to the profile where you then can click on "Send a PM" -- one more click than when there was a button on the message to send a PM. Those of us getting up in years have to husband our energvy, and clan extra click uses a lot. :)

12. ethics

You don't see the following when you click on name?

13. Robert Harris

Yes -- this time. Last time I sent you a PM I clicked on your name and was immediately taken to yout profile, where I could click to send you a PM or an e-mail, Now I get the drop-down menu.

Hmmm. You must have just fixed it. :)

14. ethics

Didn't touch a thing.

15. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

psssssssst... brilliant plan, Leon!! I like how we've decided to wait until Mr. Harris finds a problem, then we go in a fix it like it was never a problem. :thumbsup:

You da man!! :notworthy

rofl :lol: :haha: :nut:

BDD... :{)

16. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Curious ... why are some quotes in the new "bubbles" and some are in boxes?

17. Robert Harris

BDD, I think Leon has been studying Bill Gates. Every time anyone finds a problem or some glitch that makes things a bit more inconvenient than the last version he says it is a "feature" and not a bug. Then in the middle of the night he fixes it, going Gates one better -- Gates never fixes MS blunders. :)

18. Robert Harris

Another one for Leon

Llleon:

Another suggestioon. I swear, I am not doin gthis to keep you from having time to play with baby. I just want you to fix things. :)

Has to do with quotes. With the old software, in the beginning to insert a quote you clicked on the quote icon and it brought up a box where you inserted the quote, clicked OK or something and then the quote text was inserted in the editor with the . Fine, but it could be a PITA. E.g., you could not include more than one para that way. Had to add a second and subsequent paragraphs later.

Then a change was made. Clicking on the quote icon simply put
    . Nice, simple, easy to use.

Withe the new software we have reverted to the first method, though. PITA. Can this be modified the way the old software was modified?

Another thing. The smilies appear in a box to the right of the editor. On my system, the box is so narrow that only one column of smilies shows -- the rest are cut off. Is this me, or is it another special feature to make life interesting?

As soon as you take care of gthese litle things, you can go play with the baby. :)

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Just to keep you away from your family duties a little longer Leon, the entire Reply page is slow as a wet week for me. Adding Smilies, links and quotes takes a lot more time to add than previously. I'm on cable so the slowness doesn't make sense. Any ideas?

20. ethics

I was actually waiting for someone to notice. Let's just say it's forum trivia. :)