1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Hints for the New Forum

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Edited with the new version. New Posts are accessed via the bar at the top (whith the words "New Posts" ;)) To mark threads read click on Quick links for a pull down menu.

2. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

FYI, the Auto Subscribe, for me, was already disabled when I first logged in and checked my preferences.

Regarding the styles, I was a big fan of the Apple skin, but I must say I'm really liking the glowing forum markers with the CSS style. :thumbsup:

3. ethics

Let me add another thing I noticed with the Hybrid view.

If you think you have one message and it goes to the LAST message of the thread you are clicking on, don't forget that there may be other posts in that same thread.

For example, check out the screenie and see that Coot (pointed as new post by the blue icon instead of grey) posted prior to Copzilla and it says that Coot was the last poster. Anyway, it took me to Copzilla's post first and if I didn't look at my threaded view I would have missed Coot's.

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

It looks good Leon. A clean, mean posting machine.

I cannot upload an attachment at the moment but I'll have a look around and see what I may be doing wrong.

Also, the smilies won't attach.

Can I subscribe to a thread I haven't posted to? I used to be able to do that previously. :thumbsup:

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

That looks like a smilie in the previous post. OK.

6. ethics

Smilies are now to the right of the editor and everything else should be working.

7. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I really love this new style, Leon. :thumbsup:

Only one thing, why are some of the smilies white now? Did they see a ghost? I think it's a conspiracy to keep the black smilies down... :lol:

8. ethics

They overwrote some of my yellow smilies. I will correct that when I have time.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Something is not working for me.

To attach something you click a box at the bottom of your message editor labelled, I think, "manage attachments" of some such thing and a pop-up window appears in which you select things to attach, etc.

I usually have a filter activated that blocks all pop-up windows. I used to be able to right-click on the place to manage attachments, open in a new window and get the same effect -- could select file to attach, etc. In this version, when I right click I do not get the option to open in a new window.

Hope that is clear.

On the good news front, however, the Quick Reply editor now wraps lines for me.

10. ethics

It's not a pop up anymore (too many complained that they were rendered useless when they had their pop-ups running) it's a new window or a new session. If you are blocking the software from popping a new window, then it won't work.

The problem you are getting is that the file permissions are not set. No one, at this time, can upload any attachments. Will fix it when I can get an FTP access.

11. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Just want to say that I like the new look. It's a bit to get used to, but so far, I really like it. Very clean and seems to run faster.

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I still cannot see where I can edit a post or subscribe to a thread I have not posted to.
    Any clues.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I still cannot see where I can edit a post or subscribe to a thread I have not posted to.
    Any clues?

14. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Double post.

15. ethics

Edit is at the bottom of each post. Thread Tools at the top of each thread has the subcriptions.

16. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I see the Thread Tools fine but the Edit feature eludes me. I do not see it anywhere along the bottom of a post and I have changed to different thread styles and view modes just to be sure that was not causing a problem. So right now I am using Linear and the vBulletin 3 style as that is the best combo for my eyes.

BTW, enhanced WYSIWYG still breaks the spell checker add on for IE6. I wonder if they are going to fix it by the time they get to an RC release stage. Just curious.

FYI, GuruNet rocks. I got it when you mentioned it and it is quite the tool. :) Just not as integrated as I would like with IE6 but for research purposes it is fabulous.

17. melpomene

melpomene Banned

Leon, for me, its taking forever to load. Remember i am on dial up, using IE6, but its taking forever to download. Is this just a little hickup that will sort itself out eventually??

18. ethics

Mike hold alt, and while on word click left mouse button. Instant spell checker. :)

You are the 2nd person to not see the edit button, so I will have to open up the car and see what's up.

19. ethics

I hope!

What is specifically slow? Is it getting in to the thread? Replying? The more specific the symptoms the best I can identify a problem if there is one.

20. melpomene

melpomene Banned

i am a computer dummy. however, it takes forever to download. each page takes about 2 minutes to completely download, even more so when i reply. the smilies are what take the longest to download. i will log in again tomorrow to see if it is faster. thanks anyway. :thumbsup: