1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some free online av/security scanners and other misc tools and tweaks:)

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Violet1966, May 9, 2004.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I weep tears of joy, I bow before you feet and genuflect in your general direction....I no longer am subjected to those idi-fucking-otic mortgage and insurance advertisements with dancing babies, aliens, and other assorted morons!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Come on, Steve, you seriously didn't know about the HOSTS? SJ has been preaching this forever!!!

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I knew about it but stopped using it a while ago, it just got too annoying on too many websites to have to click "back" numerous times just to go one whole page back, simply because all the ads were being redirected.

It's worth the aggravation now, just to get rid of those frigging mortgage ads!

4. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Found this nice little utility for laptops. It's called Notebook Hardware Control. I was looking for something to monitor temps, etc. on my laptop when it's running Folding@Home.

It's pretty customizable and shows all the information you want (or don't want) in the system tray.

From left to right in the screenshot: Battery, hard drive temp, CPU temp, CPU load (green bar), power scheme (red flag), and CPU speed.

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

6. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Very nice thanks for posting it! :)

7. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

8. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

SUPERAntiSpyware

Recommended by Castle Cops.

I've been working on a co-workers home computer for two days. It's just full of trojans and spyware crap. This finally found and eliminated everything that kept popping up.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Defraggler

Great defrag tool that is now NTFS and pagefile compatible. Piriform (the crap cleaner Co.) Defraggler

http://www.defraggler.com/

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Two of the best malware detection and removal tools you could hope to use. 

Malwarebytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org

ComboFix - http://www.combofix.org

11. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Are you sure about that Combofix URL? I think that takes you to one of the fake ones. I always download Combofix from Bleeping Computer.

12. Biker

The actual download comes from Bleeping Computer, so the URL is fine. 

13. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Cool! I've been bit before and just wanted to make sure.

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

I used Bleeping Computer too. Actually, it's what I got from Tom.

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Stay away from the big blue Download button at the Combofix link and go to the little download link below. Bleeping Computer should get rid of that ad at the top. It is taking up most of the page, and stressed-out people like me are liable to just click on the first "download" they see.

16. Biker

I'm unpinning this as there's some REALLY old information in this thread that is no longer applicable. I'll start a new one within the next few days.