1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sochi is a joke to the rest of the world...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

LOL! So glad I'm not going.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I saw that, how freaking disgusting. Sochi won the Olympics through coercion and bribery, and now in true communist style, are not ready for it.

5. ethics

I am loving it. Best way to expose that house of cards.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I keep thinking of that "do not flush the toilet paper" sign. Ew! I expect that the cleaning people will not show up, so they'll end up with a mountain of used toilet paper.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I sure hope they've been told to drink only bottled water and to even brush their teeth with it. We had to do that in St. Petersburg, but one of our tour members forgot and brushed her teeth in tap water. She got sick!

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Can we find a city selection in recent history that wasn't about politics and coercion?

9. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

In all seriousness, how does Sochi compare with Moscow and the 1980 Summer Games? I know we're talking about two different eras, both in Russia and in the world, and the boycott probably affected coverage to a large extent. But was Moscow as unprepared as Sochi seems?

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I would imagine that being able to wander outside controlled areas wasn't as available then is it is now. You were pretty limited as to where you could go and take photos of back then.

11. ethics

Haha, you think that changed?

Russia to monitor 'all communications' at Winter Olympics in Sochi | World news | The Guardian

NBC: Americans Hacked, Monitored in Sochi

There's no where to "wander" to either. The village itself will be on a lockdown due to "security and terrorist threats".

Bob, US boycotted Moscow Olympics, along with other Western countries so... As far as facilities? The end result is not too different.

12. SixofNine

And Sochi is more of a beach resort.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Olympics/2014/0205/Where-is-Sochi-Why-is-the-Winter-Olympics-there

13. ethics

Always has been. It's the du year go to resort for all Soviets during those times they couldn't leave the borders.

14. SixofNine

Top 10 Signs Sochi Is Not Ready to Host the Olympics:

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I had a Russian friend years ago who sent me a postcard from that resort.

16. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

If you are on Twitter, follow #SochiFail. Priceless.

My favorite is attached. Who the hell fishes in their toilet???? LMFAO

Attached Files:

17. SixofNine

18. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Soviet Russia, toilet fishes you..

19. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

20. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Yeah, Russian mob influence. That's what I was talking about earlier. Yes, there is some influence in every Olympics decision, but heroin kingpins are not usually among the players.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2