1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So why can't they do this for citizens?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Biker, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Top CEOs tell Congress and Obama to get to work.'

This is something that's perplexed me for years. If companies are so willing to do this for immigrants, why the hell can't they do it for folks who are desperately looking for work?
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Perhaps because they can get away with paying them less? Also it give them a warm, fuzzy feeling to be helping people they consider inferior to themselves. I wonder what happened to the quota system that was in place in the 1960s?
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What Allene said. Every company out there is underpaying, it's not too much off the make the money out of Americans, but pay didly in taxes.

And yes, while the corporate tax is highest in the world, THE most profitable companies are also here.
  4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

CAT's a great company, and an awesome stock to own...especially when disasters hit somewhere on the globe. :)

That being said, like every other corporation out there, they don't want to pay their folks the big bucks. And apparently, neither do any administrations, be they D or R, since amnesty packages keep toboganning through every decade or so.
    ethics likes this.
  5. dsl987

dsl987 Member

These companies need to bring back apprenticeships and grow their own people. I was incredibly fortunate to land an apprenticeship with Shell Oil Tankers, and they actually paid me to go to college and learn Marine Engineering.
    ethics likes this.