1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, who's upgrading?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Fired up the Winderz side of the notebook just now and see a new icon on the taskbar. Seems Microsoft is going to do their very best to entice everyone to upgrade to Windows 10 by making it as easy as possible.

I'm still undecided. I haven't seen anything with Windows 10 that makes me sit up and go I WANT THAT! Especially with their push to Windows becoming a service.

I suppose I can image the drive before taking the plunge, and if I really REALLY hate it, just reimage the drive with Windows 7 again.

2. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I signed up for it. I'll figure out what to do once I get the download done. I probably will go for it since it can't be any worse than Windows 8.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Let us know how you like it, Sir Joe. I'm on Windows 8.1. I got used to it is about all I can say for it. It would be nice if they went back to calling a program a program instead of an app.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I *may* toss it on a Parallels partition just to see how messed up it is, otherwise no big hurry here.

5. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Still plugging away on 7, I've tried 8 on the wife's laptop and can't say I care for it that much

Allene likes this.
  6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

8.1 and happy.

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

OS X 10.10 and VERY happy. ;)

Andy likes this.
  8. Biker

I've "dinked" around with Windows 8 and wasn't impressed at all.

Microsoft is attempting to go to a simpler licensing method and treat Windows as a service, rather than support a half dozen different OS's. From a business standpoint, this makes much better sense in where you're pushing updates for one OS rather than trying to juggle 6 different ones.

However....... I'm not sure I'm wild about the direction MS is taking with this. They're pushing harder and harder for users to connect to their store much like Android and Apple users currently do with their mobile devices. While this may not be a bad thing on the surface, I foresee MS doing away with their stand alone offerings like Office and pushing their traditional customers to the "cloud" to purchase apps as needed. This has the potential to drive some serious income towards Microsoft from those that are unaware of other less expensive (in other words, free) solutions like Open Office and Libre Office.

With Vista and Windows 7 still in heavy use, Microsoft can't quite do this yet. But with the enticement of a free upgrade to Windows 10, if they can get a lot of users to switch over, they'll be closer to forcing users to spend more on applications than they currently do.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll upgrade or not. I went ahead and reserved my copy, but I haven't decided whether I'll actually use it or not.

Additionally, users may be in for a surprise if they do the switch without doing their homework first.

'Free' Windows 10 Upgrades Kill Priceless Windows 8 And Windows 7 Features - Forbes

That's some pretty serious stuff for some folks.

The serious issue I have with MS trying to force users to "apps" is you aren't purchasing a license for the software like you used to. You're renting the use of the application on a monthly basis, which could conceivably drive the cost of using Word much higher than if you'd just pulled the trigger on the standalone Office package.

So yeah... Even though I rarely boot into Windows these days, I'm leaning towards not even installing. Windows 7 will be supported for a few years yet with security updates, and by the time it goes EOL, I'll have upgraded/replaced my machine at least once or twice. The next machine I get will be powerful enough to run things properly via Wine using an honest to goodness GPU rather than Intel's offerings.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Windows 8 and 8.1 are almost two separate and different OS'es.

10. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Just curious as to what an honest to goodness GPU is?

11. Biker

As in discreet graphics. Separate video card instead of using the onboard Intel graphics on the CPU. GPU is a graphics processing unit.

12. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

People still use Win7 desktop gadgets? I thought those were a security issue, and that MS disabled their store.

13. Biker

14. Greg

Greg Full Member

I upgraded my desktop from Win2k to Debian Wheezy, and never looked back. (Wheezy because it's i386.)

Yeah Linux is somewhat more difficult than windows to learn, but I run Debian on my desktop now, and Debian on all my servers. You keep bashing your head against the wall: you learn.

Eventually you realize Linux is far more stable than Windoze.

15. Biker

Welp, I wasted most of today trying to get the notebook upgraded to the "Preview" version of Windows 10. It blue screens, gives a rather generic error and then reverts back to Windows 7.

I'll give it one shot when it's final. If it bombs then, it'll never see the light of day on my system.

16. Biker

Gave 'er another shot today and it installed without a hiccup.

Some things I've noticed so far.

1. It's a memory hog. With just Firefox running with a half dozen open tabs, it's gobbling up 2GB of RAM. Yuck.

2. During the settings phase, Microsoft asks if you wish the machine to call home at the drop of a hat. Make sure you turn all that crap off. As a default, they're asking for too much as far as privacy is concerned.

3. This is worrisome as well. UH OH: Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends' friends • The Register I'll be ensuring that doesn't happen here.

4. Give me the option to make color changes already. This white border crap is already annoying after a few hours.

I'm spoiled with Mint and other Linux distros where I'm only using 1GB of RAM with things running in the background. For those who say Windows 10 uses far less as far as resources, they're full of it.

17. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm going to pass on it until I get a new machine and have it forced on me. I don't like the memory hog bit or the Wi-Fi key. Thanks for posting your findings, Tom.

18. Biker

One would think that with RTM being just a few short weeks away, it would be a lot more stable than it is. Lot of program crashes still, and these are items that are an integral part of the OS.

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

Is RTM standing for ready to market? If so, I certainly agree. It sounds more like beta right now.

20. Biker

Release to Manufacturers