1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who else thinks the new trend for type setting sucks?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This guy does, and I agree with him 200%.

This bullshit of redesigning entire sites with text that's harder to read needs to come to a screeching halt. Everyone is guilty of it. Microsoft, Google, Twitter, etc. What in the HELL are they thinking when they redesign what was easily functional to something that makes people like me rage every single time I have to use the "new and improved" product?

And these idiots who write entire books about the subject and recommended this new trend should be taken out back, beat soundly and kicked down the street. Oh, and they should be forbidden from writing about a topic that in their own admission, is totally subjective. Yet they insist on making recommendations without a single basis of fact and these morons who do site development take their word as gospel.

It's getting to the point to where I dread going to some sites (like my email on Outlook.com) because of the new changes that make things so hard to read it's ridiculous. This trend needs to stop, and it needs to stop now.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I've been noticing that recently and wondered about it. It used to be that grayed-out text was used to show what was not available as a link on that specific page. Now we get entire pages that are mostly grayed out. Haven't they got enough to do at work without fixing things that ain't broke?
  3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There are at least three sites where I used to be a daily visitor but not so much anymore. They have modernized and it is not apparent where to click to get to what I want to see.

It is a change driven industry. Sites point to others that have not changed in 6 months to two years and say how can you think they are up to date in other areas if they don't even update their site. Companies either grow or go under. I don't understand business well, but staying at one point means you are a failure.
    Andy likes this.
  4. Andy

So much irony.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Guys, ladies, who are driving these UX changes? It's not our age group nor our culture.
    Allene likes this.
  6. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

At work, our internal web has been converted to all Share Point, and the color scheme is light gray and light red text on white background, with some trashy, thin font that makes it extremely difficult to read. And try to find something; the search feature is totally useless.

And what is with the trend of auto-scrolling bumper stickers. How annoying. Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should.

Damn millennial web admins and programmers!

And while we're at it, you damn kids get off of my lawn!!!
    Allene and ethics like this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Well, if you guys have been here long enough, you'll remember the fits I used to have over the color schemes we were voting on at regular intervals in the past. Being older, I found some of those changes very hard on the eyes. Now you are all pushing 50 or 60, so I have company at last. ;)
  8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

What? You didn't like Leon's choice of Mustard? :lolaway-5:
    Allene likes this.
  9. ethics

Let's bring it back! 10 year anniversary celebration of MUSTARD!
    cmhbob and Allene like this.
  10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Don't get me started on that one, LOL!
  11. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

ethics likes this.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

This vote is rigged! ;)

ethics likes this.
  13. ethics

Ok, Donald. ;)
    Allene likes this.
  14. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

^This post is not intended to insult anyone that is developmentally disabled and should not be construed by any special little snowflake as a reason to seek a safe place where they can be protected from harmful words.