1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, What's the Formula?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

One month ago today, this forum was blessed by an event that will live in...

Sorry, it wasn't that big of a deal. ;)

Seriously, I'd like to know what the magic formula is for nudging people to post.

I see a few folks here who rarely posted at that other forum, so I'd like to hear some of their opinion as well.

How does a forum build quality with quantity posts? What makes people post anyway? Is it a thread that they disagree with, agree with?

I am sure some still post in the old EL, what makes you post there (and I have nothing against it, for the record)?

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'll post if a topic interests me or if I feel strongly one way or the other about the topic. Or, if it's a technical question and I can actually help. (It's nice to be able to return the favor since so many helped me.)

As to what builds quality posts. My answer, quality people who can post their opinion or stance without resorting to name calling and flames.

I still post there very rarely because sometime I just can't help myself. :) IMHO, it seems that the EL is much more one sided now (which is probably what Justin wanted) so at times I find myself wanting to post just to show an opposite side to the argument. For the most part, I've saved my breath since I would only be able to respond X amount of times. But once in a while, I've gotten the better of myself. :)

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

My (now rare) posts in the EL have been either because I felt quite strongly about an issue, or because I wanted to forestall continued ignorance.

I post here because of the fine topics and high quality of discussion. Even those opinions with which I disagree are typically well-founded and backed by either experience or research. I respect that, even if I disagree.

Quite frankly, an open atmosphere where all viewpoints are evidently welcome is the single thing I look for; the opposite of that, of course, is why I'm posting mostly here, now ;)

Lastly, the light-handed moderation is a welcome change. Even flames are allowed to live, they're just sent to UIF.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Why We Post

As with others I post when I strongly agree with or disagree with a subject. I post when others post vehement positions with no logic or facts backing it.

I am discouraged from posting when the same old posters post the same old BS with still nothing backing them, kind of "What's the use?" These posters scream loud and long with statements that cannot be backed up.

"Stupidest president in history", "all Muslims are" (substitute the favorite target of the day), "The whole world hates america because (substitute your favorite target here), "We should feed the world", "We should police the world", "We should retreat to our shores", "There is no reason for "(sub your favorite target) etc gets it out of their system for the day but adds nothing to the current subject and cannot be backed or argued. This type poster who sees nothing on the other side is a waste of time and living in their own make believe world or simply trolling.

In the old EL my posts have dropped rapidly. You can't make idiot's smart with a post or two and there are too many over there now and too few serious posters.

And we all have moods. In some moods I will post on any subject and in others I will skip subjects that I would normally want to add a thought or two. But the posters who ignore everybody's post that does not agree with them or the immature who believe because you don't answer they have won and then post that, well that crap speaks for itself. Discussion is about learning from each other, not about winning or scoring points.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks folks for some wonderful answers.

If I may sum up what we have so far as the common denominator:

1. Quality posters = quality posts. I tend to agree. By quality, I mean people who have something to offer to everyone else. One of the things that MENSA members miss (I am not a member, don't be afraid) is the human factor. Quality posts, for the most part, exhibit that and use it to get a point across better because the reader will be emotionally tied instead of bored to death.

2. Agreeing and/or disagreeing with a post = generates an urge to counter or add an agreement. This is a simple one, yet many forum hosts miss. When you limit the people's postings, the same people who have the urge to counter will go elsewhere.

3. Flames, generic bs = lack of posts. HOWEVER, putting out the same flames & bs with censorship creates even a bigger uproar which results in not just lack of posts but lack of members.

6. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Since I categorically refuse to visit the EL, it has been easy to resist the urge to post there. There's no such thing as a partial boycott. ;)

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I would rather read the posts because I can learn more, but if I have an extra minute, I will post in a thread.

8. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Hey, immortal one, does that symbol in your avatar signify "wisdom"? Because you said it best, man!

"I would rather read the posts because I can learn more..."

I read to learn. I post because I think I have something to say that may help others learn.

That pretty much sums it up!

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Believe it or not, I am most inclined to carry on a good debate than anythign else. Even though we may fight like cats and dogs sometimes(where are HaYwIrE and -Ken???), I have fun doing it. Things were very lovey dovey in here for the first week or so, and I was dying to get all huffy with people! I am finally getting on some people's nerves and vice-versa. I don't mean to do it on purpose, but when it happens, discussion certainly becomes more engaging.

If I can change the way somebody looks at an issue, I view it as a major success. This rarely happens on any big issue because most people are already set in their ways - I am probably no exception with certain things. I can honestly say though, that I HAVE changed my views on a few topics because there are some very persuasive people in here who have had experiences in life that I have not.

For the record, I have made absolutely no posts in the EL except for a few complaints in one of the complaint threads. Not only have discussions there slowed down to a crawl, but I don't see more posters or more lengthy, thought-out posts. I see the same group of people and the same two sentence posts. Oh well, that's what they wanted, so that's what they got.

10. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Respect, pure and simple.

And, it takes a very long time to develop that respect.
    Especially on the Internet.
    Over the course of several months, I found that I could respect the intentions of the posts from many members of the EL (now GA).
    New folks (and I include myself) have to earn the respect of their fellow posters. Over time.
    It'll either work out, or it won't.
    Stay, or move on.
    But, if you develop a sense of respect, you can piss & moan, beat each other to a pulp, and still come out OK.

I don't think there's anything a 'site' can really do to promote this. It happens, or it doesn't.
    I think it happened in the EL. And it was pissed away.
    Now it's at the GA. Thanks to a generous invite.

Bye the way.
    I'm sure Ethic's invite of folks from the old EL created quite a change to the GA. But, I will say I've not read ONE post from an origional GA member that I couldn't respect.
    A fine group of folks.
    I just hope our rowdy influx hasn't upset the decorum here too much. We still feel a bit displaced, I think. We'll calm down.

I, for one, love this place.
    I can hardly keep up with the interesting threads.

Regards,

11. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Please! I am not complaining, but the appearance and functionality of that other forum is sooo much easier to use and on the eyes that I have not posted as much here.

For the record, I do not post at the other forum since three-four weeks ago.

I am just waiting/praying for a style that does not hurt my avian eyes and some better functionality. [hope it comes soon - crosses wings]

Ugly

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'd post more, but I'm too busy trying to pick up wimmen.

I can say my schedule is sufficiently deconflicted.

SM