1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Buy a House in Japan for Retirement?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Japan's population is shrinking. Those who remain are moving to Tokyo. The result: Eight million houses stand empty. And yet, because Japanese prefer to buy new houses, more houses are being built. "When I was growing up, what I always heard is that Japan has a huge population, the houses are small, and you won’t be able to buy one. Now you can buy a fairly big house for a low cost, refurbish it and live well”.

Is this the solution to Japan’s glut of empty homes? - FT.com
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Considering how much of the population treats "gaijin", Japan is one of the last countries in the world I'd consider retiring to.
  3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Plus I suspect the cost of living is still very high, housing discounts notwithstanding.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

From what I understand, once you're out of Tokyo, the cost of living drops dramatically. Especially if you're able to give up the "name brand" items from your home country and shop locally.

It can be done, but it's the attitude towards foreigners that would turn me off.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

I guess they are kind of the Asian equivalent of the French.

But seriously, besides the food who would want to live in Japan except the Japanese?

At the time I left industry (medical electronics design) there were many Japanese engineers who had bought "apartments" (a la New York style = condos) in urban areas as an investment, intending to make their fortune while rent pays for their apartment, and then retire and return to Japan to be with their ancestors.

My own opinion is that they probably will get addicted to America and not want to go back, and either sell their apartments or keep them as investments.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

An interesting article!