1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoker is smoke free.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Nov 25, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Philip Morris is declaring a smoke free zone in its Melbourne factory. In place of the monthly free 2 cartons of cancer sticks, they are offering a one off payment of AU$8000 to employees.

About 25% of Australians now smoke with smoking banned on all public transport, smoke free zones in restaurants, a lot of work places smoke free with the threat of govt legislation to ban smoking in the workplace all together. The majority of new smokers are teenage girls.

I gave it up 16 years ago and it was a very tough thing to do. I certainly do not regret it but missed it enormously for years, especially when having a drink or three.

2. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I quit 10 years ago also. I promised myself that when I turn 80 I can start again. I wonder if cigarettes will be legal then and how much they'll cost!

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

LOL, Sharon, I have always felt when I am diagnosed with whatever is going to do me in I would start smoking again.

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Only 25% in Australia smoke? Anyone know what the % is for the US and Canada?

I quite 2 1/2 years ago.... but still chew nicorette from time to time... love that peppery nicotine buzz. ;)

5. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Well, here's an interesting site... the answer to my question is there for the US (28% of women and 23% of men in 1991 -- my guess it's quite a bit lower now).

But look at the cancer rates for the US compared to other countries... staggering. I have no idea how reliable this site is, but thought I'd provide the URL anyway.

http://www.kidon.com/smoke/percentages3.htm

EDIT: Ooops -- Misu's posted link from the CDC made me double check the numbers above -- sure enough, it's 28% male and 23% female in 1991, not the other way around.

6. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

Coriolis? I couldn't find an exact statistic on the percentage of smokers in the US and Canada. But, while I was doing a Google search came across this link to a .pdf file with various other statistics concerning smoking worldwide.

www.forces-nl.org/WHO/pdf/Deaths.pdf

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Interestingly, the CDC shows that more males smoke than females? I have always thought that more females smoked than males?

By the way, check out the breakdown by years of education. I was right in my assumption that more educated people are less likely to be smokers.

One good thing about those statistics is that fewer people seem to be taking up smoking.

I have to wodner, though...why is it okay for government to try to put an end to smoking only to ive alcohol a free ride? It is due to the backlash that happened 80 years ago when they tried to outlaw it? Will there be a similar scenario with tobacco?

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The government is trying to put an end to smoking?