1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site Outages

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Dec 20, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Just an FYI to let you know I am aware of this problem and currently working with the host.

I can't wait till the day I move my server. These people are unreal.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This is just for info, not a bitch.

This morning I connected immediately, went to see "new messages", went to one thread and read it, and then conld not return to the list of new messages. Also could not open new connection to home page. Just the usual error message. Only could connect about 10 minutes later (now).

It is a PITA, isn't it.:)

3. ethics

Yah, apologies. :(

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think it a really twisted sense of humor that makes us so dependent on this site. I can see you now, with a malevolent grin on your face as you pull the cable from the wall.

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Actually I am beginning to like these occasional outages.
    After the first major outage I learned how dependant I became on this forum. For some members this site has become an obsession. I wouldn't be surprised if they are online 10 hours a day. Unfortunatly they feel the need to participate in every aspect and forum of this site. Posts and replies become incessant.

An occasional "timeout" is welcomed.

6. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

'Way back in the stone age I ran a BBS on my home telephone line. I also worked at PT&T in the switchroom that served my house. I would get on the office teleprinter to check on my BBS. Sometimes I would get a busy signal. I would then walk out to my connector bay, find the switch that was sitting on my line, and wipe it off. :p

7. ethics

Whew, for a second there, I thought you were going to ask for post limits. ;)

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

POST LIMITS? NOOOO!!!!!! ;)

9. Robert Harris

Why -- it's an interesting idea that would solve a lot of problems. But we have to do it selectively. Very tight limit on consrervatives/Republicans, no limits on liberals/Democrats. No messages allowed at all for people who don't care either way.

Think ya can do that Leon? :cool:

10. jamming

jamming Banned

That was what we fled from BBR/DSLR, none of your new friends will be here anymore Robert. What's to debate if everyone agrees? Liberal Justin can't have anyone question his authority or POV that why your friend Leon left, I was on vacation when he left and joined a day or two later, here where he invited us. I figure your probably joking Robert, but it is still a sore spot with me, and maybe a few others.

But what you were describing was happening for awhile after Mr. Sean took over the EL, Conservative views would have an incidence of 2 or 3 mod action for every liberal view that was moderated. I don't mind debating but I would like the ground to be level no matter which side someone is entering from.

11. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Did you ever notice that the one who complains, has been guilty of the offense in the past? :)

I was home from work for a week on Thanksgiving holiday and I must have spent 10 hours a day on this site.

So you see, I speak from experience.
    I do have an obsessive personality. I never realized how obsessive I was becoming until that first major shutdown of the site.

So you see I was talking about myself.

Actually, Bob Harris has the right idea!
    However, he must of inadvertently reversed the order of his request. Dyslexia?;)

12. -Ken

-Ken Guest

That's funny Jamming, that's not what I remembered.
    Of course, if you wish to believe the decisions were based on politics, go ahead.

The posting limits were put in place by people (including our friend Flagger) because the feeling was the EL was being monopolized by a few people (I was one who was cited as an example).

As to Mr Sean persecuting conservatives, you need to know, he had no problem moderating me and did it several times when it was necessary. If conservatives got moderated more than liberals I'm sure it was because they needed moderation not because of their political leanings. I know, that must be tough to swallow but I will defend Mr. Sean's moderation as fair even though he pissed me off on quite a few occasions.

This is still a very sore spot for me but at least I am looking at the situation from an honest perspective. The changes which were made affected us all equally <b>Liberal or Conservative</b>. How you could say otherwise is truly beyond me!

13. Robert Harris

Thank you, kind sir.

WRONG. CONSERVATIVES TALK TOO MUCH AND MAKE TOO LITTLE SENSE. :)

Actually there is another way to limit the number of posts and the conflictts that sometime emerge. See:

14. jamming

jamming Banned

I didn't say he did not moderate liberals, but he seemed to do it more against those views which he did not agree with, that happened to be conservatives more of the time. I will not say he was a fair moderator, but I will say he tried to be. I am sorry you feel I am looking at this from a dishonest perspective then. I agree that the changes affected us all regardless of side, but the moderation is a seperate issue from the posting limits, IMHO.

15. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Sorry Ken, gotta agree with jamming on this one. I've caught Sean on more than one occasion doing exactly that. He very much does allow his politics to cloud his judgement, and then thinks that posting a pro-conservative comic evens the score. It doesn't.

16. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Nice Link Bob!!!

Now that is hillarious!

<small>notice how I am subtly trying to change the focus?</small>

Perhaps Leon's Administrative post should be locked as it is a general statement of information and not meant as a topic generator. I am leaving this thread as fast as I can now!!!!

17. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Copzilla and Jamming,

Perhaps I should have said I never saw what you are describing. That is not meant to imply it never happened. If it makes any difference to you, there were several conversations between both of us liberals as to why we were being moderated more than the conservatives.

Upon reflection, the job of moderator is a very difficult one as I'm sure we can now all agree. I think Mr. Sean did a great job with a very difficult crowd given the guidelines he had to work under. Could it be possible it seemed like the conservatives were being moderated more because there were more conservatives?

18. ethics

What transpired over yonder had nothing to do with any of the mods. As much as I'd like to simplify my focus of anger at any of them, fact is, none of them had anything to do with it.

It was made by a little man with a big mouth and who was threatened by integrity of the opposing views. In order to stifle opposition, and maintain his good repetition as a site owner, he did what he only knew what.

The rest about making it a quality forum with post limits was just smoke up everyone's ass. The scapegoat of Haywire was conveniently used but not overlooked or ignored.

19. -Ken

-Ken Guest

With all due respect, I disagree.

I really don't think Justin had anything to fear from the opposing viewpoint any more than either you or I do. I believe he was trying to address the popularity of the "social" forums in a site dedicated to technical issues.

As you know, I strongly disagreed with his decisions but if his goal was to "cripple" the activity of the "social" forums, he succeeded.

I never got the feeling he was "out to get" Haywire and if he was, he failed miserably. As far as I now, Haywire still posts there and I don't. Not much of a conquest for his side in my opinion.

20. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

My reasons for not frequenting there as much (I still pop in from time to time) is that the whole place has become much less cerebral.

I think it has a lot to do with the squashing of opposing viewpoints.

Try and go into any forum and discuss artists rights, and the necessity of copyrights as protection of commerce, and watch how fast you have a pile of warezers, haxors, jump all over you, led by the mods even (who post those blatantly biased front page blurbs in the first place).

The forums are jammed full of "[Poll] Do you like Beanie Babies" as opposed to any really fruitful conversation.