1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sir Nicholas Winton

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Copzilla, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Winton

In the months leading up to WWII, Nicholas Winton organized the repatriation of 669 Jewish children. The opening salvos of the holocaust were already being fired, and Jews were already being rounded up, placed in slums, already suffering. Nicholas Winton and others realized the urgency and tried to respond, to get these children to Britain, into the arms of families that would care for them, to safety.

The day the war was launched, he was scheduled to move 250 more children, and was prevented because the train they were supposed to be on did not roll. This haunted him after the war. Those children died in concentration camps.

He kept his work secret, didn't talk about it. It was discovered by his wife 50 years later, in some documents in their attic. It was rosters of those children he had managed to move out of Prague in the nick of time.

And here is the surprise reunion with some of those children after all those years. Get a tissue, it's heartbreaking.

ethics likes this.
  2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

BTW, he's still alive. He's 104 years old.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I wonder if anyone has written a book about him?

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I forgot to read the Wikipedia article before posting the above. It mentions a book and three films. It also mentions another link to Irena Sendler, Polish nurse/social worker who smuggled some 2,500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw Ghetto. I've never heard of either of them, so thanks very much for posting this, Copz.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow, that was amazing. And he's over a century old, too!

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Jesus, right in the feels.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

SM, The Rescue of the Prague Refugees 1938-39 is available from Amazon in paperback. I'm going to get it. It isn't just about him, but about the larger group he was a part of. They rescued thousands. I find the stories of the underground resistance in various European countries during World War II very inspiring and very suspenseful reading.​

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Correction! It is out of print everywhere, but Google offers it for $7 something. I just paid for it and downloaded to read on my computer.

Copzilla and ethics like this.
  9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Copzilla and ethics like this.
  10. Allene

Allene Registered User

A very inspiring and brave person!