1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silo's - what the Hell???

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by rowd, Dec 23, 2002.

1. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

I was reading <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/23/technology/23PEEK.html?todaysheadlines=&pagewanted=all&position=top">this</A> story this morning and ran across this interesting few paragraph

What the hell are silo's and where are these isolated databases?

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Rowd..

The Silo's they refer to are just that. Silos. they are enviromentally sealed (temperature and humidty controlled) areas that are encased in an enclosure that looks like a silo. they are usually present in large data processing companies. Typically these companies own large, I mean really large, main frame computers that do the number crunching, data processing for smaller companies. Alot of the backups done and critical programs required to run on these main frames are stored in the silos. when a tape needs to be loaded an operator types in the load command for a certain tape and a mechanical arm/robot, fetches the tape from storage in the silo and loades it into a tape drive (all within the silo). So the tape remains in tip top shape.

Its actually kinda cool to watch. When I used to work for the TELCO, a few of the systems I SysAdmin'd were located off site at this Data Processing company. I had to go there quite often and have then load software for me. All done by robotics and remote cameras. The silo I am used to seeing was maybe 25-30' diameter and about the same height. Ulta high security there too, since these data processing companies usualy service many many smaller (some larger) companies. All the companies that run medium to large main frame applications through them, purchase processing time on the big mainframes.

hope that helps.

3. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Thanks for the info...............I didn't know anything was stored on tape anymore, I thought it was all hard disc or some other form. Do you have any links to pictures of these "silos" and the way they operate?

4. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Try this LINK .

The first one on the page is best. Storage capacity of 600 -1200 terabytes.....

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO

I'll see what else I can find

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Magnetic Computer Tape has some good qualities in storing data, it is more resistant than some mediums to EMP pulse which is interesting to me that Companies are interested in that.

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

1200T? *drools* The largest I ever saw was a paltry 5.7T by comparison. Now, where's my super computer to hook up to it? ;)

Tape is going to be around for a long time, it seems.

Here is an article from last year showing how the USPS is moving to getting even more capacity from mag tape by using hardware to efficiently manage the tape:

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0416/tec-tape2-04-16-01.asp