1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoulda hung the bastard...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

But this is sort of OK, if they really do lose the key.

Excerpt

Thursday, 30 January, 2003, 22:32 GMT
    'Shoe bomber' jailed for life

A US federal judge has sentenced "shoe bomber" Richard Reid to life in prison for trying to blow up a Paris-Miami flight with 197 people on board.

Reid, who is British, had pleaded guilty to eight charges - including attempted murder and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

The prosecution welcomed Thursday's sentence.

Reid's intentions were clear - he wanted to murder innocent people in the name of his fanatical religious beliefs," prosecutor Michael Sullivan said.

Reid was unrepentant in a sentencing hearing that lasted just over 90 minutes.
    More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2708205.stm

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Bob, totally agree. I am not a pro-death penalty on the basis that there's no 100% way of knowing guilt and innocents will die, but this one is pretty cut and dry.

Why waste jail resources?

3. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Cut and dry, indeed.

From what I can gather, around 30,000 children starve to death, on this earth, every day.
    And I'm supposed to give more than a second of thought on the fate of this religious lunatic?
    I agree with Robert....
    Next

4. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Agreed. He showed no remorse, only contempt.

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Now that I think of it, maybe hanging is too good for him. :)

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, according to the article, Reid received the maximum allowable punishment for each offense. Plus a handy 110 years tacked on to the end for good measure.

I'm sure had he actually killed someone, then he woulda been fried.

Nice of him to confess that he's a terrorist and an enemy of our country, however. Makes it much easier.

For what it's worth, he might not live very long in captivity.

SM