1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should you let your kid play football?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

My personal opinion is that, maybe not next year, or the year after, but not more than 5 years from now, NFL, NHL, Boxing, etc... will be different games as to how the game is played. I believe we will talk about the concussions and the diseases that stem from them, will be talked about the way asbestos is spoken of today.

Should I Let My Son Play Football?

Allene and dsl987 like this.
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

The only way to dramatically lower CTE or concussions, (they're not the same), in football is to play without helmets and most of the other equipment, but beside the helmet primarily the shoulder pads.

Helmets offer little protection to the brain. They primarily protect the skull. Helmets in today's game as are shoulder pads are much more of a weapon than a form of protection.

Right now if you are a lineman or a linebacker it is almost guaranteed you will get CTE. Other players to a lesser extent.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I was extremely happy that my son did not like contact sports and went with Tennis. If he had shown an inclination towards football I would have done my best to put him on a different path.

ethics likes this.