1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shielding Grisly Scenes From the Instagrammers

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The sight by the side of American highways and roads is an increasingly common one. The first time you encounter it can be confusing, until you quickly figure it out.

"In the last 10 years it has become pretty standard for us," said Don Lundy, president of the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians. "We wish we didn't have to do it."

You'll see it at the site of particularly grisly automobile accidents. As the EMTs and other first responders struggle to free the victims from crushed cars and try to save their lives, other emergency workers—police officers, firefighters—stand in pairs, holding up blankets or tarps perpendicular to the pavement.

"It's necessary," said Mr. Lundy, who is a full-time EMT in Charleston County, S.C. "I don't think it's that people have changed. It's that the technology available to them wasn't there before."

He was talking about something first responders witness daily, something that dismays them. As soon as there is a gruesome accident, pedestrians and passing motorists reflexively pull out their camera-equipped phones and begin taking photos and videos.

A more docile version is rubbernecking. You have no idea how much these people piss me off. It's like they get turned on by this shit.

Anyway, what can be done legally for this?

Bob Greene: Shielding Grisly Scenes From the Instagrammers - WSJ

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The second the first moron slows down and starts impeding traffic, there should be another cop pulling them over and giving them a ticket for it. Once drivers figure out that the rubbernecking and picture taking will result in a hefty fine, they'll stop doing it.

And make the fine hurt. None of this 50 dollar crap. Smack 'em for 500 bucks or more for dangerous driving and impeding traffic.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Agreed but would that be constitutional?

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've seen enough blood and I know what color it is. When I pass a grisly traffic accident I keep my eyes on the car ahead of me and hope the guy behind me is doing the same. The only thing I'm thinking about is that I'm glad the traffic is finally going to speed up.

It's funny in an ironic way that it's not unusual to see two traffic accidents spaced perhaps a quarter or half mile apart, same direction. One of them is always a rear-ender.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Hell yes it would be constitutional. Rubbernecking could be lumped in with many laws already on the books. Distracted driving, dangerous driving, impeding traffic, etc. etc. etc.

ethics likes this.