1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Offenders

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

<blockquote>"How can a guy get married and become a good, stable citizen if they're putting your picture there when it don't belong?"</blockquote>

Daniel Ray Erickson is hopping mad. After he was convicted in 1980 for buying a 5-year old girl for $250 and abusing her sexually, the state decided to put his name on its sexual offender website. He has petitioned the state and asked a judge to order the removal of his name from the site. His petition is not based on principle nor on claims of repentance or rehabilitation - <a href="http://www.sptimes.com/2002/12/06/Hernando/Sex_offender_wants_We.shtml">he complains that it's interfering with his love life.</a>

Predictably, his girlfriend dumped him after seeing his name (<a href="http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/sexual_predators/OffenderFlyer.asp?keys=37681">and picture</a>--personally, he has a face only his mom can love) on the website.

Erickson was arrested earlier this year for failing to register as a sex offender. He has appealed the first case and will be arraigned for the second on Monday.

Now, this is a specific case, but let's go beyond it and ask, "is there truly any rehabilitation for sex offenders, and if so does sites like this trample on their rights? Are sex offender registries anything more than a modern-day 'scarlet letter?'"

2. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

I think that anyone who abuses a child and goes to jail for it, definitely gives up their rights. I do not think that this kind of offender can be rehabilitated. How can you change someone's sexual orientation?

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Well, I guess they could offer him a permanent solution to his problems. They will take his picture off if he takes his penis off. Thats right, no picture, no penis. It's a fair trade. As a bonus, they can take his name off the list also, if he cuts off his balls too. If course, he would have to do it himself, no doctors, etc.

4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Frodo, I can sympathize with your point, but unfortunately, I think child molesters' problems are not in their genitals, but in their brains.

5. Frodo Lives

They could have that removed too. :)

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Quite true. Goes for anything sexual involving humans. Brain then genitals if even for a short time.

Children are such a special category that I find it hard to balance his rights with their protection.

Perhaps some area where it could be guaranteed with certainty that no children would come under his possible influence.

He would give up some rights in exchange for others. A fair trade, IMO.

Society would be served.

7. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

I knew a girl in Indiana that was sexually abused by her babysitter for 2 years. She was afraid to talk because he said he would kill her whole family if she talked. But one day she talked and he got 70 years in jail. But while he is sitting in jail being angry with what happened to him, just think about the child he destroyed because of his depravity.
    Rape, whether committed against a child or an adult is called "Unfinished Murder". It's a death of spirit. These children usually end up in therapy for life because of the depravity.

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

daibramage, I understand where you're coming from, but being a rape survivor myself, I don't consider what my rapist did to me as unfinished murder - he didn't kill my spirit. Sure I was pissed and all screwed up for a long time, but I've gotten over it and I feel I'm a better, stronger person for overcoming what that shitbag did to me, and because of what I learned I can go on and help others.

Back OT - this guy gave up many of his basic US citizen rights the moment he bought and raped that little girl, tough shit that it affected his love life. He should have thought about the consequences of these actions before he did them. Sexual predators are prone to repeating these crimes - if it helps society protect itself and it's young from monsters like this, the sex offender registry is a MUST. If he doesn't want to put his name on that list, he's more than welcomed to get the eff out of our country and go elsewhere.

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I am sorta on the fence with the issue of sex offender lists. Since everyone is coming down on this guy hard, I will play devil's advocate and bring up a few points on the other side of the fence(I can see both sides while sitting up here!).

The man served out his sentence for what he did. Was it too harsh? Maybe. Was it too lenient? Maybe. I just don't know what the penalty SHOULD have been. However, he served his sentence, and now he is a free man. If society still does not trust him, then why isn't he still locked up?

Similar to the point that Sunriser brought up a while back with her own personal story, how do you expect this man to be a productive member of society again if all you want to do is warn all his neighbors, his potential employers, etc. about the "risk" he may pose to others? Who the Hell wants a known child molester living in the apartment upstairs from them? Who wants to work with a convicted child molester? Who wants to hire one? Nobody does! So we release them people back into society, and we make them wear a scarlet letter so that everybody avoids them like the plague.

Is this just part of their sentence? Perhaps we are being overly cautious? Or maybe we aren't being cautious enough? I honestly don't know. I am not a child molester, and I don't know how the mind of one works. All I know is that if someone is a menace to society, they should not be free to roam around the country. I feel that either this man should be locked away to protect society from him, or we should allow him to be a productive member of society again. If we are going to make it difficult, if not impossible, for him to do this, then we should help him find a place to live and a place to work. Otherwise, he'll just end up back in prison which means all we've done is waste a lot of people's time. And I don't want to be one of the people he robbed so that he could afford to feed himself.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think this particular man deserves a life sentence. He PURCHASED a little girl? OMG, that is so wrong for so many different reasons... However, I still think the above logic deserves some attention with regards to lesser child offenses. Yeah, I know sexual abuse can't reall be considered "lesser"...argh, I'm arguing on the side that is going to get its ass kicked!

10. claire

claire Registered User

No pity and no pardon for the one who abuses a child.
    Sentenced for life is all he deserves.Society has no other ways
    to be protected from this monsters

11. IamZed

IamZed ...

I had to live thru someone attempting this with a girl I had raised. Three months ago. Thank God she told her sister. I was waking up crying. I could not work. It was two days before I could hold her in my arms again so for two days I was in tears.
    I no longer have the mental capability to consider any issue involving sexual abuse of a child. All offenders should die.

12. ethics

Many would agree with that, of course.

Do you think these people can be rehabilitated?

13. Frodo Lives

I don't think this is a matter of rehabilitation. Their are some crimes that must not, at all costs, be repeated. You can never allow someone who murders, or molests children, etc. to ever get the chance to become repeat offenders.

Their is no middle ground, no matter what the Catholic Church thinks.

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Wonder what happened to whoever SOLD this child to him.

15. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

No there is no rehabilitation for genuine sex offenders. All serious studies have proven this.

Yes, in my opinion sites like the one in question violates their rights.

No, the sites and law enforcement registries are more than a scarlet letter. They warn people with children who live near the sex offender that there is a sexual predator nearby. Such a person may or may not be able to control his permanent urges and parents should take legal and sane appropriate preventative action to protect their children.

16. Domh

Domh Full Member

There should be no sexual offenders list at all.

There is no need for it when every single sexual offender should be put away for life, no chance of parole.

There is no rehabilitation for those who are capable of crossing that very clear line.

This topic makes me so fucking angry I start crying. Pathetic.

:mad:

17. mike

mike mesmerized

I remember a little more than a year ago, some repeat offender was to be released and sent to Lancaster, CA, and I do recall a major community protest, even including a representative (Runner?), which ended up forcing the responsible department to place him elsewhere. I do not remember the specifics of this case, just that it seems there was a "sense" of relief in the community there as I recall reading...other than warning my children of a known predator, what else can you legally do?

18. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not sure what the actual statistics are from the Justice Department, but this snippet from a <A HREF="http://www.starlight-pub.com/BlueSky/TaskForces/RecidivismTaskForce.html">Blue Sky Society web site</A> quotes:
    <i>
    80% of first time convicted kidnapping rapists and child molesters repeat their crimes when released from prison, which is usually in about over four and one half years after conviction. </i>

I honestly do not think this brand of sex offender (perhaps any brand, for that matter) can be rehabilitated. Keeping them locked up, perhaps until some form of therapy can be developed, is the only way to prevent repeat offenses (of those actually convicted, that is).

19. ethics

Re: Re: Sexual Offenders

Such as?

20. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Re: Re: Re: Sexual Offenders

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jedi Writer
    Such a person may or may not be able to control his permanent urges and parents should take legal and sane appropriate preventative action to protect their children.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a parent so I wouldn't presume to know all the answers on protecting kids. But in this case the first thing would be if possible point out the offender to my kids and with appropriate language tell them to essentially avoid him. Make sure the school were my kids attend know who the person is by both name and sight.

By the way when I said parents should take "legal....action to protect their kids", I meant legal versus illegal as in vigilante or harassment action against the offender. I didn't mean go to court or file some type of lawsuit.

This situation we are discussing and the institution of prisons are for me two of the most no solution problems we have in our justice and constitutional system.

For the sex offender scenario what is more important? The safety of children from a legitimate threat or probably in many instances of violating the offenders constitutional rights in our actions to protect the children?