1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex Offenders: rehabilitation or lifetime stigma?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, May 6, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Looking forward to complete background checks on all artists whose works are exhibited. I'm looking forward to the release of the songs that Charles Manson wrote. Actually, some of them have been released. Truth be told, I have no friggin' idea what to do in these situations, which are probably infrequent, but I lean toward free expression with full disclosure. As Howard Stern used to say on terrestrial radio, if you don't like me, change the channel.

3. ethics

I guess I am in the same boat.

4. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Was the photos of children or the focus of his crime? If no, FUCK THE COMPLAINERS.

I am all for giving a second chance to those who have been in prison. If you made a mistake, if you served your time, it you learned a marketable skill while confined, I have zero problem helping those who don't want to reoffend get to a place where they don't feel reoffending is the only way to make a living.

I have zero problem sealing records of first time offenders to background checks so they can rejoin society and become productive citizens without a Sword of Damocles constantly hanging over their heads. If an ex- convict is making legitimate efforts to be a productive citizen, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reoffenders get the maximum sentience for their new crime(s), served consecutively and all probation time (served or not) added together and doubled. A second conviction and they are pretty much gone permanently from society.

Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I agree.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure where I stand with this. Up to the end of last year, with all my kids grown and out of the house, I'd have said that once the sentence was finished, quit punishing the offender.

Now I'm not so sure. I'm in a relationship and she has a young daughter (soon to be 8). Dad mode has kicked in again and while I'm all for allowing those who have completed their sentence to rejoin society, I have issues when they decide to rejoin in my neighborhood. Especially when there's a medium or high chance of re-offending. It's a difficult topic that has no black and white answers. **sigh**

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have long been under the belief that recidivism for sex crimes was much higher than for other crimes. So before answering this thread I tried to find rates. Good luck with that. Most rates found are actually lower than for crime in general. But this article examines some of the issues in locking in a rate. However, I think it still supports a much lower rate than expected.

I also found evidence that the article that resulted in so many sex offender lists and harsher penalties was pretty much a guess at 80% recidivism. The author of that study had a much lower rate in his own program and thought it so much better he swagged the high figure.

I strongly believe an offender should have a chance in society after serving his time. But what is a country that does not protect its most vulnerable members.

I also found a disturbing chart showing recidivism rate by country. Note that this chart is not solely for sexual offenders.

cmhbob and ethics like this.
  8. ethics

Good research of your own, Rick...

2014-10-incarceration-chart2_tcm7-176264.jpg

So the next country -- almost a half of ours -- is Russia. Having known that society, the vastness of it, it's crazy to think we have almost a double. Next one after? Ukraine?

Something is wrong with the US here.

ShinyTop likes this.
  9. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I believe the fault to lie in several factors.

1. An overabundance of punishable laws.
    2. Minorities who are excluded from economic success by a combination of government intervention, societal pressure against achievement, and isolation through not learning the local language.

The government gives a bare subsistence allowance and the government education system does not generate capable high school graduates. The Memphis City School system has had a sub-70% graduation rate since I got here. It may have gone up when it merged with the County schools, I don't know one way or the other.

I've seen Blacks with "hood roots" called "Uncle Tom's" and worse terms for having the drive to learn and escape the hood but come back for whatever reason. I hear the thumping music constantly, degrading women and glorifying gangs, drugs and all the rest. Those things have to change before anything else can.

Also, when I have to visit "201" (201 Poplar, the Shelby County Justice Center) it's more of a place to see your friends. While there is pain and discomfort being trapped in the Justice System, there is no shame for being in there that might cause these people to think twice before doing something that causes them to end up in the Justice System.

For Hispanics, many come here and remain isolated because while businesses might speak and write Spanish, the people don't. So while they can work and otherwise operate in the city, they don't blend-in with the rest of the population because they have poor-to-zero English skills.

I've been shadow banned. I can't respond to posts other than to edit them, I can't create new posts and cannot do PMs. I guess I did something to piss the admins off?

Last edited: May 21, 2018