1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex legalized in Georgia

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yes, that's right. Sex outside of marriage was illegal. (I believe this is the law in someother states, too.) A recent court decision has killed the Georgia law. Don't know what will now happen elsewhere.)

Excerpts:

US state abolishes sex law

The Supreme Court in the American state of Georgia has abolished a 170-year-old law prohibiting sexual relations outside of marriage.

The ruling follows the conviction of a 16-year-old youth found having sex with his girlfriend in the bedroom of her home.

McClure was ordered to pay a fine and write an essay about why he should not have had sex.

He wrote that it was none of the court's business.

More:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2659447.stm

Apparently the court agreed with the lad.:thumbsup:

2. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

i can't believe that any DA would bring charges against a person for consensual sexual relations out of wedlock.

it's common knowledge that there are outdated laws like this still on the books in many states, but what kind of friggin moron must this DA have been... i would guess that at least 90% of people would be felons under this statute (and while it's a guess i'm sure thats a conservative estimate).

3. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

"Laws relating to fornication remain on the statute books of about 10 US states and the District of Columbia."

Hmm... that is one out of five states. I wonder which states those are, and if I happen to be in one of them.

4. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Reminds me of the day my 16 year-old girlfriend and I ditched school (I was 17). I forgot who was on top (me or her). How was I to know my dad would come home during his lunch break that day?

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Yeah, Frank, but did you get arrested?