1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a network with WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Wacko, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

I setup a network with WinXP Pro on both computers, and through an SMC Barricade Router. I have the file sharing down, but I can't seem to get the printer to work on the second computer.

I have the printer connected to my computer through the USB2.0, and I'm trying to send a test picture from the other computer through mine to the printer. Will this work, or do I have to connect the printer to the printer port on my router? I would rather have it hooked to USB2.0 as it prints much faster. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Does the second computer have the drivers for the printer installed? And have you enabled sharing in the printer properties?

3. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

I enabled sharing in properties, and WinXP Pro has the drivers already in it. I'm thinking that I need to go and actually do the install thing for them tho. Ooops. Thanks DemiGoddess I will go check it out, and see.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Have you gone to the printer settings on the computer it is installed on and "shared" it"

If so, then you should be able to install it on the client computer by searching through the network for it when you try to install it on the client.

(yes, you need to install it as you would be installing a printer connected directly, only point to the networked printer)

At the very least, after you share the printer, you should be able to see it in Network Places when you browse your network.

5. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Whenever I start having problems with my LAN, I run the Setup Home Network Wizard again on both PCs. I think Windows needs reminding what it is supposed to be doing every now and then.

A few more thoughts ...
    Are you running a software firewall? If so, disable it and see if the printer shows up.

Go to the second computer, open My Network Places, then View Workgroup Computers. Double click the icon representing the first computer, then click on Printers or Printers and Faxes. See if it will connect and show you the printer queue.

Both computers have the same Workgroup name, right?

6. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

Thank you both. I didn't actually get it working, but my brother came home, and wants his computer. Looks like I will have to wait till tomorrow to finish up. I really appreciate all the help.

Wacko