1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set your cellphone to DND?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think this advice goes a bit too extreme. What I would recommend based on personal experience, is during the day switch your phone to silent/vibrate mode. Allow # of CLOSE people to bypass in to an audible notification.

This is for people who are at work. When I go in to retirement I WANT more notifications.

BTW, scrap AP or CNN as your go to alert for news. They overdue it and definitely slant Left as to what they deem as important (you will get hundreds on a shooting).

Put your phone in Do Not Disturb mode forever

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Or, just limit the amount of crap you view on line and stop setting everything to notify you. The ONLY thing I get notices on is email, text messages and phone calls. That's it. I don't do Farcebook or any other of the social media crapola that tends to suck the living soul out of everyone. Want to stop reading fake news? Stop going to Farcebook and Twitter as your news source. Installed an app that is now bombarding you with notices? Rip it out by the roots and never install it again. There's no need to go to draconian lengths to limit what your phone is doing. You're in control of the phone, not everyone else. These moronic tech writers need to realize that and stop allow the phone to control them.

Allene likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good points. I used to enjoy (if that's the word for this) getting the latest and greatest in news. Now? Leave me alone.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

From day one the do not disturb setting has always been my default setting. The vibrate only setting on iPhones have always sucked. You can't, (or I can't) feel it going off in my pocket. Plus there are times that in moving around in my pocket the switch on the iPhone gets moved to the vibrate, and as mentioned I can't sense or hear it when it does vibrate. You can imagine how happy that makes me.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    ethics likes this.
  5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

On my personal iPhone, I made a "Silent" ringtone (several seconds of silence) and that plus no vibration is the default for anyone not in my contacts list.

The work phone I can't do that, I get calls constantly from one-off places.

cmhbob likes this.