1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Send them Back?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 29, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A police officer interviews a group of Haitian migrants after they were apprehended in the Miami area October 29, 2002. About 200 Haitian migrants jumped off a dangerously overcrowded freighter grounded off Key Biscayne, swarming onto a busy bridge with some trying to persuade passing motorists to help them elude border patrols.

Would you send them back to Haiti, or let them start the INS process of being admitted?
  2. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Half of them, I would say, have HIV and they will fill the emergency rooms in FLA and Georgia.

I know it sounds cruel, but they came here illegal. The answer is not to bring everyone here but to make the world a better place to live. Filling up our country is not the world cure.
  3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

As cold hearted as it sounds....yes, I would send them back and make them apply through normal channels.

Otherwise, we send a dangerous message to others that it's OK to enter the country this way
  4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Send 'em back....on the same boat.
  5. ethics

Agreed, Greg and Fritz. Coot? Same boat? You are harsh! ;)

Especially with the ambience of anti-immigration the US feels right now, I doubt many would disagree.

Now, does anyone think we should keep them? Why?
  6. fritzmp

OK,OK, we will patch the boat and stock it with privations.
  7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'd send 'em back in UH-60s from the 101st. That way, they get repatriated, and the 101st pilots get precious overwater time.

8. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

If this lot had been a boatload of Afghans or Iraqis coming via Indonesia they would immediately claim refugee status and at that point would qualify for UNLIMITED legal aid to appeal the case all the way to our High Court.

They would have destroyed ALL forms of ID so that their identity is simply an unprovable claim of just who they are. MOST in fact are Pakistanis.

In the mean time they are housed (free) in camps, mostly in the outback with air-conditioning, Halal food, clothing, private family rooms, FREE phones to call home and arrange the next lot, play equipment for the kids, TVs, videos, and - wait for it - PLAYSTATIONS!!!!!!!

When they get the magic word of 'Refugee' after their name they immediately qualify for TIME UNLIMITED social security, first off the rank for public housing ( stuff the Aussies on the list for 8 years), and all the support programs available.

Australians are MUGS!!!!!!

All of the above is in accordance with our "UN obligations" and "International Treaties".
  9. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

The INS is already on the hot seat for the Malvo debacle.

I think its a safe bet the illegals that arrived today live on all the major news channels aren't long for the USA.

I would be agreeable to the thought of possibly letting the children and thier parent(s) stay but all the adults who acted by themselves, for themselves, should be sent back immediately.

My personal favorite *video moment* of the day was when a group (of about FIFTY or more) of the illegals swarmed upon an open bed small pickup truck.

Ahhh America. Home of the free.

Not to be confused with America, where your home is free.
  10. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I would go with Steve's idea. Send 'em back home.
  11. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Oh look my favorite video moment is on the news for about the one hundreth time tonight.

Something tells me this isn't what the founding fathers had in mind.
  12. fritzmp

Making them do a static line jump from a Starlifter would make them think twice from comming back and they would tell all their Buddy's.
  13. ethics

Mid, that is too funny. Well, and sad in a way. Haiti is not Afghanistan under the Taliban, Poles under Soviet Union, and East Germans under the Stasi.
  14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

If these were Cubans, they'd be allowed in. Haiti is in just as much trouble and social unrest as Cuba, if not more, and yet Haitians get treated like shit compared to Cubans.

I think if we're going to give rights to people from one place, give it to everyone. If not you're not going to give it to everyone, then treat everyone the same.

And half my family are cuban immigrants (husband's side).
  15. ethics

Now wait a minute. Cuba is politically a shit hole. Haiti is also, but the difference is that the Cubans escape for more legitimate asylum than the Haitians.

Haitians tend to run here for economic reasons more than the Cubans.
  16. fritzmp

Plus most Haitians are murdering thugs. Sorry, but my Brother-in-law just got back from their working on a fiber optic project and he had to have the US embassy get him out with security because of threats to his life by coworkers. The company laied off a few guys and they thought it was because of him. It was not a good ordeal. The place is a rat hole and I don't blame them for wanting to leave, but not here.
  17. Coot

Put 'em back on the boat and point it towards the Dominican Republic.
  18. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ethics, Haiti is in a constant civl war - it wasn't long ago that there were US forces there trying to keep the peace - I believe it was back in 93? I remember I was a senior in HS, and I had many haitian friends who were very upset their relatives could not leave, yet cubans were allowed to leave.

The reason Cuban refugees get the help they do is because of the POWER cubans have in South Florida - everything is run by cubans here. They are extremely powerful politically AND economically. They are a very vocal group - they almost always get what they want. You can't turn on the television in Miami without being bombarded with news regarding Cuba - even on the English channels.

Trust me, I lived in Miami for 13 years, and you should hear my husband's family talk.
  19. jamming

jamming Banned

Actually it has more to do with Kennedy selling out the Anti Castro Cubans who invaded to overthrow Castro. The government gave them something for that trouble. Ask some of your older Cuban relatives.
  20. Coot

It is NOT incumbent on the U.S. to take in refugees from every shithole 3rd world country. Cuba I can understand...or could 20 years ago. I was adamantly opposed to admitting Vietnamese refugees...any of them. The RVN's wouldn't fight the NVA, and that alone was more than reason enough.

Cheerist...when I was with MACV SOPS, we were trying to train them in Recon and all they wanted to do was ghost our asses and get down the road. Sorry, this is probably for another thread.

There are so many of these disease ridden, rathole 3rd world dens of squalor around the world. They all want to leave and come to 'cushy' countries and improve their lot. The U.S. is inundated, Canada is becoming inundated, Australia likewise. Enough already. Spain is putting up walls and fences, Italy is clamping down as is Germany. It's becoming an issue of worldwide pestilence.

The planet has become over populated...nature has a way of dealing with this. A purely organic and natural solution is most assuredly in the best long term interests of the species as a whole.

Of course, in the short term another timely solution would be to hit France with enough neutron weapons to erase the population, erect a great wall around the country and let any of these refugees that care to move there.