1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling wiping my old iPhone 6.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Arc, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

Just bought a new iPhone. I want to give my pristine Verizon unlocked iPhone 6 to a friend. But how does one go about switching over to the new owner, (they're on a different network), and to make sure absolutely positively in and on that phone that is associated with me is wiped and that is converted to the OS/Data new phone, right out of the box? (And also be confident that my email that's on the gmail server and on my new phone plus as of the now the old phone is not corrupted or erased in the process of the conversion.)

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

dsl987 likes this.
  3. Arc

Arc Full Member

I looked at the longer version and naturally there stuff in the directions that didn't match the "choices" on the phone. So I did the short version. It appears to have worked fine and my new phone looks completely "intact." If it turns bad like lost stuff, I'm indicted, Perry comes for me on business or my identity ends up in the Ukraine or some such place, remember, I know where you live.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. ethics

Anytime.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Do iPhones handle all types of networks? Verizon uses CDMA, everyone else uses GSM.

6. ethics

School is in session.

Verizon uses LTE, just like every one else. What everyone else USED to use (and still does albeit much less of ) is the older GSM and CDMA networks. When there's no LTE, the connection would drop to slower CDMA... both Verizon and Sprint's networks (3G) are CDMA. The rest are GSM.

Now, being that Verizon is almost done with replacing their CDMA network with LTE, what phone you have will not matter much in 2018.

Many phone manufacturers already dropped that CDMA/GSM differences.

The U.S. unlocked HTC U11 doesn't support Verizon's CDMA network, and that's okay

MemphisMark likes this.
  7. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

It's been a while since I've FREQ'd. I might still have a scanner that could pick up the old 800mhz (and unencrypted) cell phone signals. I used to monitor my local fire/police channels until they went to a trunk, then digital transmissions.

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Yep. Virtually any unlocked phone will work on any carrier in the US as long as it's LTE compatible.

ethics likes this.
  9. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Scanners will handle non-cellphone trunked, digital, whatever, as long as the sigs aren't encrypted. If they are encrypted then no go. You already know old scanners can pick up cell. There's fewer of them every day, bought up by people who know that.

Admittedly it's difficult to follow trunked convos.