1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Segway - Revolution or Hype?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Dec 3, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

The introduction of the Segway was one of the most hyped events I can remember that very quickly seemed to turn into a bust. I don't know many that jumped up and down and said "alright, Ginger's a glorified scooter!" The Segway may very well have uses for postal workers, police, and some warehouses (last I read Amazon was testing these), but I'm not so sure it's the life-changing device that it was forcast to be for the rest of us. Evidently, there's even some <a href="http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3392405,00.html">concern</a> for it being allowed on sidewalks.

Am I missing something here? Will it become the equivalent of the four-wheeler built for the city? Anyone tried one out or seen it in action up close? Anyone thought of buying one?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

HYPE!!!!!

Although, I was one of the fools who fell for it. :(

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Much ado about nothing. IMO, it's a unique, clever device with limited application that may, in certain usage, provide some transportation benefit.

When I first saw it, my initial reaction was to wonder how much use it would see during rain, snow, etc.?

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

It was nothing but hype. Revolutionary? I think not. It's a freaking scooter. I was expecting something cool like a hoverboard such as the one in Back To The Future 2 and 3. When I saw what it was, I was extremely disappointed. Before details were released, people were saying that it was going to change the world and that it would be bigger than the Internet.

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Maybe if Al Gore had invented it.........;)

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

I'm still trying to figure out why some very smart people ("as big a deal as the PC" said Steve Jobs; "maybe bigger than the Internet" said John Doerr) who had information on what it was still contributed to the hype. Did they really believe it? Or maybe the final product wasn't all that they were led to believe (no Stirling engine, no hydrogen power, none of the other early speculations about it were included).

7. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I agree.
    I rather suspected that 'ginger' was going to be some sort of engine technology that might help solve the fossil fuel dependancy we have today.
    And what was it? An electronic scooter utilizing 'stable platform' technology that has been around since the 60's (although much cheaper to manufacturer today).
    Phooy.
    Although, to be fair, it might have a few 'nitch' applications.
    But 'change the world'?
    Jeeze.

Regards,

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

That book, I think that it isn't what they were talking about. Dean probably decided to say the Segway was IT because then he wouldn't have the media down his back while he develops the transporter...

Techie2000, who loyally watches Star Trek every Wednesday and wouldn't mind testing it...

9. mikeky

mikeky Member

LOL, I hope you're right. Of all things Star Trek, I think the transporter would be the thing I would most want to see a reality.

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

The replicator would be very high at the top of my list. It would revolutionize the way we obtain our food. No messy cooking, less cleaning up...it would be an amazing invention. Oh yeah, plus I would be replicating money with mine. ;)

11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'll take the holodeck. Me and Cindy Crawford and her twin sister would spend some "quality time" together :D

12. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I was kind of hoping it would find some use in the rehab field, as as alternative to a wheel chair for people who can ambulate but have difficulty controlling movements (thinking Parkinson's, MS, vestibulopathy). So far I've only heard talk, and besides, it's a bit too pricy.

13. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I'm with Stevent on this one.

Give me a holodeck and I'm good to go for about twenty years or so.

14. mikeky

mikeky Member

I thought this was kind of funny given our discussion:
    <a href="http://www.business20.com/gallery/0,2182,13|175|176,00.html">Invent Amazing Things</a>
    Of course the Segway may yet prove revolutionary, but doesn't seem to be headed that way.

15. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think this is exactly what's happened. I truly believe that these guys were told one thing, shown an awesome prototype, and then what was actually revealed to the public was quite another.

I mean, think about it for a second - a hydrogen powered scooter that doesn't require manual controls, but instead uses the power of THOUGHT translated to nerve and muscle responses that the scooter is sensitive enough to detect and can react to - you have to admit, that's pretty damned cool.

Here I was, thinking this was going to be a life saver for someone like me, who after back surgery can stand up straight, but cannot walk for long distances. That to me was DAMNED COOL - until I saw the crap that amazon is selling. Battery pack? WHY A BATTERY PACK - it was SUPPOSED to be a hydrpgen engine.... It's completely different, and consumers have seen that. Therefore, it's a bust. The original idea behind it was worthy, but it's been exchanged in order to be mass produced.

16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

"I was just blown away," said Chris Johnson, president of Certified Parts Warehouse, a computer parts company located in Exeter, New Hampshire, who got his Segway last week. "In fact, I was so blown away, I immediately bought a second one."

Johnson's extra transporter is for companions who want to go riding with him. "It's like having only one scuba diving suit," he explained. "If you want to take a girlfriend or buddy diving, you've got to have another one."

This Wired article is actually saying that the hype it is not. I disagree, since it sounds like a commercial but maybe I am wrong?